Electric Mk1

General Chat with an emphasis on BMC Minis & Other iconic cars of the 1960's. Includes information on MK1 Action days.
Catmint

Re: Electric Mk1

Post by Catmint »

Pete wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 2:50 pm It’s just abit of fun, and interesting to see how it works out. There’s plenty of Mk1 shells about now to do it with, it’s the logbooks that’ll run out if you want one on the road?
Plenty of 850 log books left from all the "S" conversions :lol:
onetim

Post by onetim »

It would be nice to see more then just the motor in place, where's the inverter, battery's, cables, charge port? will more of it go under the hood or fill the boot as well?
Exminiman

Post by Exminiman »

Spider wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 8:18 pm
Andrew1967 wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 11:51 am - despite the Tossla motor.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

GeorgeA wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 11:58 am In my opinion Battery technology is not there yet to spend money converting classic cars for a bit of fun.
I've been looking on with a casual sideline interest at battery technology and EV's since the 70's. Since then, battery technology has come a long way, but I agree totally with you here George, as 'good' as it is today, it's not even 1/4 baked for more or less equivalent use in cars as a tank of petrol, the energy density between them is chalk and cheese. I'm rather browned off hat this still quite raw technology is being forced upon us under totally false pretenses that it's 'greener'. I think the only part that's green are those pushing us towards it. When looking at the total life cycle of EVs ve ICV, EVs mile for mile are WAY 'dirtier'.
The battery issue has actually been solved...... :lol:
49223E5F-33D1-4FF0-B315-68EF4145F8E2.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JohnA
Location: Up north where men are men and sheep are frightened

Post by JohnA »

Comparing the carbon footprint of a new electric car with that of the equivalent diesel allows the diesel to do 44,000 miles before it equals it
Heard that on the radio
Spider

Post by Spider »

Exminiman wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 11:26 pm
Spider wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 8:18 pm
Andrew1967 wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 11:51 am - despite the Tossla motor.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

GeorgeA wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 11:58 am In my opinion Battery technology is not there yet to spend money converting classic cars for a bit of fun.
I've been looking on with a casual sideline interest at battery technology and EV's since the 70's. Since then, battery technology has come a long way, but I agree totally with you here George, as 'good' as it is today, it's not even 1/4 baked for more or less equivalent use in cars as a tank of petrol, the energy density between them is chalk and cheese. I'm rather browned off hat this still quite raw technology is being forced upon us under totally false pretenses that it's 'greener'. I think the only part that's green are those pushing us towards it. When looking at the total life cycle of EVs ve ICV, EVs mile for mile are WAY 'dirtier'.
The battery issue has actually been solved...... :lol:
49223E5F-33D1-4FF0-B315-68EF4145F8E2.jpeg

Marc, yes, that well shows the hypocritical nature of it all. I'm just unimpressed with how this silliness is being blindly forced on us.
johnv

Post by johnv »

Catmint wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 8:32 am
Pete wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 2:50 pm It’s just abit of fun, and interesting to see how it works out. There’s plenty of Mk1 shells about now to do it with, it’s the logbooks that’ll run out if you want one on the road?
Plenty of 850 log books left from all the "S" conversions :lol:
850 logbook anyone? There'll be one going spare here
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Classic-Mini ... 7e65f8f5b7
Mk2 Cooper
Mk1 Cooper project
Mk3 Cooper S
Pete

Post by Pete »

On a more positive note I’ve heard of a couple of very interesting projects involving electric early Minis that are due to break cover next year.
mk1
Site Admin

Post by mk1 »

I think it is an interesting bit of fun. The installation that started this thread looks like it has been done very well & it doesn't look totally out of place. One day, I'll get round to doing an electric Moke.

Electric cars aren't the panacea that they are sold as being, but its something different to have a play with isn't it.

I reckon there will still be petrol stations around when I'm pushing up the daisies, but I bet there aren't "THAT MANY" and the fuel they sell will be horrendously expensive.

However, if this year has taught us anything it's that we can't be 100% sure what is around the next corner. I guess that only time will tell.
Mark F
General dogsbody.
Bitsilly

Post by Bitsilly »

Pete,
is this your project or just one you found on the inter web?
I would like to get in touch with the person responsible.

I recently went for a drive in a Westfield Lotus 11 which had been made electric. It was incredible. It was like hitting an engines sweet spot but then maintaining it at all times and speeds.

I am considering making my Mini electric and it is a very positive thing to me. I would be doing this conversion with a friend who was responsible for developing market leading EV's for a company you will have heard of. The lies, dammed lies and statistics quoted on here are valid for only a very small proportion of what is on offer. Not every conversion is based on a Leaf or Tesla, and personally I consider most of those conversions unsuitable for a Mini.

My motivation is not saving the planet, just having a kick-ass sleeper that does not break windows or burst my ear drums with the exhaust note, is free to drive into central London, automatic for the rush hour, and not expensive to run.

It will not require a Q-plate or IVA. I will not need to remove the back seats. I will not need it to drive for hundreds of miles. i am lucky to have a garage. I planned on having an exhaust pipe but popping a plastic flower in it.

And it will not require any irreversible mods to fit or remove the motor and batteries afterwards. My choice is between a bigger tuned engine, new gearbox, diff etc. or going electric, I will probably choose electric. I hope most people can keep an open mind on this, but if not, whatever. In fact, as it is so frowned upon I think I have made up my mind!
wantafaster1

Post by wantafaster1 »

I know an engineer building one at home. It'll be good and I'm looking forward to getting to the mainland to try it.

However vw has definitely dropped a bollock with the electric Transporter van. 82 miles isn't much use, unless, unless you never leave a town or city centre, in that case I get it.
I did 515 miles in a day in mine several weeks ago.