Electric Mk1

General Chat with an emphasis on BMC Minis & Other iconic cars of the 1960's. Includes information on MK1 Action days.
Exminiman

Re: Electric Mk1

Post by Exminiman »

GeorgeA wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 11:58 am Not that impressed tbh

Yes it's great to put a Tesla motor in But their electric conversions do not use Tesla charging systems. So much slower recharge times.

Their standard mini conversion when I asked a few weeks back is 26kwhs which works out at 34.85bhp (roughly Nissan leaf)
Which gives 100mile range and requires around 4hrs charge time. (Assuming the battery stays in optimal condition top gear got 34miles out of an old Nissan leaf)

Based on a 6.6kw charge system

That's based off how big a battery they could fit in a mini
300 bhp in kWh is a about 223.8kwh's unless it's going in a estate or van etc or throw out all the seats you'd probably be lucky to get a full set of runs up Prescott.

In my opinion Battery technology is not there yet to spend money converting classic cars for a bit of fun.

100 miles gets me to about Preston.... That's going to be along trip to get to any mini event.

Blyton is 3 hr 15 min (185.3 miles thanks Google) in a classic mini EV conversion
That becomes a 7hrs 15min journey + I'd need to charge it at Blyton before I could drive it around the track and charge it again before leaving.

So the return journey from Blyton park including charging up before I can leave becomes 11hrs 15min just to do a 185 mile trip home .. .
Any idea on how it affects the overall weight ?
Weight of Batteries plus electric motor, minus the A series etc........
GeorgeA

Post by GeorgeA »

Exminiman wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 1:53 pm Any idea on how it affects the overall weight ?
Tesla Model S motor 70lbs (31.75kg)
1 Tesla 85 kWh battery pack weighs 1,200 lb (540 kg)

1 Nissan Leaf is 648lb (294kg)
about 1/2 of the Tesla's pack, yet only 1/3 its capacity

+ The weight of the steal box's, wiring and charging system etc

140.725 kg is the weight of a complete 998 engine with everything on it
http://www.miniweights.co.uk/engine.html

I dont have a problem with trying this out (But i would not use a Mk1 shell :lol: ) but at the moment its a complete waste with the current range and recharge time
111Robin

Post by 111Robin »

I suppose as an expensive toy to run around town fair enough, but why not just use a late shell rather than waste a Mk1?. The attraction of old cars is the mechanical element so remove a large part of that then it's of no interest to me anyway. I lost interest when carburettors were replaced by EFI and distributors by ECUs. Replace the engine with an electric motor then "I'm out" as Mr.Bannatyne would say.
Pete

Post by Pete »

It’s just abit of fun, and interesting to see how it works out. There’s plenty of Mk1 shells about now to do it with, it’s the logbooks that’ll run out if you want one on the road?
9330FN

Post by 9330FN »

It is worth watching Harry Metcalfes YouTube video on Electric Cars and the future of petrol and Classic Cars. I would advise not to start stripping your engines out and putting electric in :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CUA2imRYRM

Also interesting pieces out there on the development of synthetic fuels with zero/low emissions to replace petrol and surely as mentioned repairing and using what we have has to be the most sustainable solution than stripping the world of Lithium! :shock:
111Robin

Post by 111Robin »

9330FN wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 3:56 pm It is worth watching Harry Metcalfes YouTube video on Electric Cars and the future of petrol and Classic Cars. I would advise not to start stripping your engines out and putting electric in :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CUA2imRYRM

Also interesting pieces out there on the development of synthetic fuels with zero/low emissions to replace petrol and surely as mentioned repairing and using what we have has to be the most sustainable solution than stripping the world of Lithium! :shock:
Yes, watched this previously and it is a very good summary of the situation. I particularly like the comparison with the classic watch market,. Also very interesting on just how environmentally unfriendly the whole process of manufacturing millions of new electric cars is.
Exminiman

Post by Exminiman »

GeorgeA wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 2:16 pm
Exminiman wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 1:53 pm Any idea on how it affects the overall weight ?
Tesla Model S motor 70lbs (31.75kg)
1 Tesla 85 kWh battery pack weighs 1,200 lb (540 kg)

1 Nissan Leaf is 648lb (294kg)
about 1/2 of the Tesla's pack, yet only 1/3 its capacity

+ The weight of the steal box's, wiring and charging system etc

140.725 kg is the weight of a complete 998 engine with everything on it
http://www.miniweights.co.uk/engine.html

I dont have a problem with trying this out (But i would not use a Mk1 shell :lol: ) but at the moment its a complete waste with the current range and recharge time
So., if i read this right, there is an over all gain of apx 430 KGs , if you used the Tesla battery pack :shock:
Spider

Post by Spider »

Andrew1967 wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 11:51 am - despite the Tossla motor.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

GeorgeA wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 11:58 am In my opinion Battery technology is not there yet to spend money converting classic cars for a bit of fun.
I've been looking on with a casual sideline interest at battery technology and EV's since the 70's. Since then, battery technology has come a long way, but I agree totally with you here George, as 'good' as it is today, it's not even 1/4 baked for more or less equivalent use in cars as a tank of petrol, the energy density between them is chalk and cheese. I'm rather browned off hat this still quite raw technology is being forced upon us under totally false pretenses that it's 'greener'. I think the only part that's green are those pushing us towards it. When looking at the total life cycle of EVs ve ICV, EVs mile for mile are WAY 'dirtier'.
spoon.450

Post by spoon.450 »

Hope they used a new heritage shell and not something with proper history......but where do you stop when creating history.......???
spoon.450

Post by spoon.450 »

I said creating, ....not re - creating ! :lol: