Electric Mk1

General Chat with an emphasis on BMC Minis & Other iconic cars of the 1960's. Includes information on MK1 Action days.
Pete

Electric Mk1

Post by Pete »

Feast your eyes on this, Tesla powered Mk1 build , 300bhp?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
hanlminiman
Location: Still in a Car Home in North Cotswolds, close to Prescott Hill Climb & Stratford upon Avon UK

Re: Electric Mk1

Post by hanlminiman »

Is that HOY? :lol:
rolesyboy

Post by rolesyboy »

I suspect a lot of our engine bays will look that that in a few years. The rivet counters are going to be beside themselves :D
The good thing with a classic Mini is the drive will still be entertaining even without an A series.
Rolesyboy
Polarsilver

Post by Polarsilver »

Hmm .. will need a Q Plate ;)
Andrew1967
Location: Usually in my garage on the east coast of Norfolk, UK

Post by Andrew1967 »

hanlminiman wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 11:19 am Is that HOY? :lol:
Very funny :x :lol: :lol:

You couldn't print what I think about all this electric business :shock:

Does look a cracking build though - despite the Tossla motor.
GeorgeA

Post by GeorgeA »

Not that impressed tbh

Yes it's great to put a Tesla motor in But their electric conversions do not use Tesla charging systems. So much slower recharge times.

Their standard mini conversion when I asked a few weeks back is 26kwhs which works out at 34.85bhp (roughly Nissan leaf)
Which gives 100mile range and requires around 4hrs charge time. (Assuming the battery stays in optimal condition top gear got 34miles out of an old Nissan leaf)

Based on a 6.6kw charge system

That's based off how big a battery they could fit in a mini
300 bhp in kWh is a about 223.8kwh's unless it's going in a estate or van etc or throw out all the seats you'd probably be lucky to get a full set of runs up Prescott.

In my opinion Battery technology is not there yet to spend money converting classic cars for a bit of fun.

100 miles gets me to about Preston.... That's going to be along trip to get to any mini event.

Blyton is 3 hr 15 min (185.3 miles thanks Google) in a classic mini EV conversion
That becomes a 7hrs 15min journey + I'd need to charge it at Blyton before I could drive it around the track and charge it again before leaving.

So the return journey from Blyton park including charging up before I can leave becomes 11hrs 15min just to do a 185 mile trip home .. .
JohnA
Location: Up north where men are men and sheep are frightened

Post by JohnA »

What a waste of a Mk 1 shell !!!
goff

Post by goff »

JohnA wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 11:59 am What a waste of a Mk 1 shell !!!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Pete

Post by Pete »

rolesyboy wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 11:44 am I suspect a lot of our engine bays will look that that in a few years. The rivet counters are going to be beside themselves :D
The good thing with a classic Mini is the drive will still be entertaining even without an A series.
I don’t think you’d need to be a rivet counter to not want to drive a beefed up milk float. 😆. That said, it’s coming and those that want to should do, and those that don’t won’t, but until the charging infrastructure is in place it’s gonna be a lot longer than a few years. I saw a queue of Teslas on an M40 services this week waiting to charge up. I reckon they’d need to double the size of the car parks and equip every parking space with a charging point to allow rapid growth of electric. 90% of the houses where I live would need a charging point on the actual kerb to make it work, but yep there’s no denying it’s coming!

I’d still have to fit a back box at least to make it look right, and do brum brum noises. :lol:
johnv

Post by johnv »

Why would you do this? There's going to be petrol around for classics for many years yet, especially as electric powered cars (cars that are actually designed to be electric from the ground up) become more prevalent.
This is just a meaningless compromise - neither one thing or the other.
Mk2 Cooper
Mk1 Cooper project
Mk3 Cooper S