Rust converters

General Chat with an emphasis on BMC Minis & Other iconic cars of the 1960's. Includes information on MK1 Action days.
wantafaster1

Rust converters

Post by wantafaster1 »

What sort of products have you used and can recommend?

Mainly for pitted areas that are too good to replace.

Thank you
MiNiKiN

Re: Rust converters

Post by MiNiKiN »

I succesfully used a product called "Tiger Rost KO" , which is basically phosphoric acid. It requires multiple application, with wire brushing inbetween to work it into the rust and remove rust that has already been "disolved". It is available at our local Austrian DIY shop. Any similar prodct will work in the same way. My choice any time.

Another option for vertical areas is DEOX, whic his a gel and doesn't run of - I think it is too phosphoric acid based. Available in the UK via bilt hamber
https://www.bilthamber.com/deox-c

Both are rust removers, I have no positive experience with rust converters - which say to convert rust into a stable iron-tannin - they only seem to work on flash rust.
I keep my Heligan pineapple jam in Mk1 glass washer bottles :mrgreen:
mab01uk

Post by mab01uk »

Hammerite Kurust seems to work ok for me on small areas of surface rust:-
https://www.hammerite.co.uk/product/kurust/
rogerotto66s

Post by rogerotto66s »

Here in the states (USA) I use Eastwood products - Rust Converter & Rust Encapsulator.
Roger Williams
1966 Austin Cooper S - LHD - Wet - Personal Export
MiNiKiN

Post by MiNiKiN »

I cannot emphasise enough to stay clear of so-called rust converters or rust encapsulators - from my experience they only work on flash rust or the like.
If you have heavy corrosion they won't work into the rust deep enough to provide long term remedy.
You have two options: rust remover (acid based) which is a long process of applying, letting it do its rust etching process, wire brushing of the layer and re-application, ... etc.
apply suint based oils that penetrate the iron-oxide particles and "encapsulate" them from further oxygen ingress and such stop corrosion. Fluid film is my choice in that category of corrosion preventatives.

First choice is always media blasting where possible.
If you have removable parts soak them in phosphoric or citric acid.
I keep my Heligan pineapple jam in Mk1 glass washer bottles :mrgreen:
gazza82

Post by gazza82 »

Bilt Hamber do a few .. or check out Frosts
LuisM

Post by LuisM »

Bilt Hamber do a few
i've just bought the Bilt Hamber ones... i use their rust prevention wax and really like it.
juggernaut

Post by juggernaut »

I've used both Vactan and Dinitrol RC900 before and had good results. Dinitrol is a tad expensive though and I would say no better than Vactan.

They both worked fine for me with no rust coming back in the time I owned the car (over 3 years) so I would use them again, although according to the internet some people don't have any luck using them so it's a case of suck it and see really.
wantafaster1

Post by wantafaster1 »

My problem areas are inside the quarter panels where the soundproofing was adhered, it's held the damp obviously, front bulkhead too.
I don't trust anyone to blast the quarters without warping them.
Van13

Post by Van13 »

Bilt Hamber for me , my fav though is a Makita angle grinder