Whats the difference between deluxe & super deluxe?

General Chat with an emphasis on BMC Minis & Other iconic cars of the 1960's. Includes information on MK1 Action days.
Costafortune

Re: Whats the difference between deluxe & super deluxe?

Post by Costafortune »

66Traveller wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:20 am Are you sure it was original and hadn't been swapped? My 27000 mile mid 1965 Super Deluxe, late 1967 Mk1 Super Deluxe (family owned from new) and low mileage unrestored late 1967 Mk2 Super Deluxe all had black painted rear numberplate lights.
Some Minis had a cream painted switch panel, others were grey. Some had stainless trim over the inner sills, others didn't. I think it's just what was in the parts bins that morning at Longbridge and Cowley.
Time Bandit

Post by Time Bandit »

66Traveller wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:20 am Are you sure it was original and hadn't been swapped? My 27000 mile mid 1965 Super Deluxe, late 1967 Mk1 Super Deluxe (family owned from new) and low mileage unrestored late 1967 Mk2 Super Deluxe all had black painted rear numberplate lights.
Nope, never been swapped. The car belong to my mam's auntie from new until I got it off her in '83. It was a very late MK1 that sat in the dealers for a year until she bought it in Sept '68. The only other thing might be the dealer swapped it when the number plates were fitted but I can't imagine why? It was a Morris if that makes any difference?
Mike
rogerotto66s

Post by rogerotto66s »

66Traveller wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 12:56 pm The Deluxe had piano hinged opening rear windows, bright flat profile sill trim mouldings, bumpers with overriders (but not corner bars), a chromed numberplate light and 2 tone fleck / solid colour trim as well as wool carpets. It still had a single instrument (cream for Austins and Silver for Morris) and floor start.
My 1966 Austin Cooper S (July 1966 build) Heritage Certificate lists - LHD, North American Export, De-Luxe.

It has black vinyl trim below and to the left/right of the front windscreen. Bumpers with over riders and corner bars (like all “S”. Chromed Number plate light, Veltone carpets, single instrument cluster with black face and no floor start.

So... sounds like specs are quite fluid over time and what is available on production line at build time as I am finding for quite a few parts.
Roger Williams
1966 Austin Cooper S - LHD - Wet - Personal Export
NZmember

Post by NZmember »

One of Mark's brochures from 1961 has a nice comparison - and details some of the differences for export versions. My Export DeLuxe does not have the kicking plates on the doors, no alloy plate on the lower door seal rubber and no rear ash trays.
This brochure is an Austin one - all models, except the basic had the chromed rear number plate lamp. Given the brochure is 1961 the export 'Super DeLuxe', does it refer to the Super or was there just another trim level for export only before the name came to the UK?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mab01uk

Post by mab01uk »

Costafortune wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 12:26 pm
Some Minis had a cream painted switch panel, others were grey. Some had stainless trim over the inner sills, others didn't. I think it's just what was in the parts bins that morning at Longbridge and Cowley.
Also when there were strikes at the Factories or the component suppliers (frequent in the 1960/70's!) other suitable parts were sometimes substituted to keep production lines going for a few more days or weeks.
miniminor

Post by miniminor »

So I have a June '63 Morris, Super Deluxe, I think? who knows?
Its Surf Blue with OEW roof, over riders with corner bars, piano hinged rear quarter windows, chrome number plate lamp, no vinyl at all on top or bottom dash rails, and its wearing an older style painted Morris grille.
Its been restored at least once having been stripped to a bare shell and re painted so cant say what it did or didnt have originally.
20191018_224544.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Get the wheels in line, Get the wheels in line with it! ..... and then slam your brakes on or we'll be in the cabin ! "

1963 Morris Mini Minor Superdeluxe
2014 Freelander 2 SD4