Whats the difference between deluxe & super deluxe?

General Chat with an emphasis on BMC Minis & Other iconic cars of the 1960's. Includes information on MK1 Action days.
Leestenson

Whats the difference between deluxe & super deluxe?

Post by Leestenson »

Whats the difference between deluxe & super deluxe? My heritage cert came back stating mine is a deluxe.
mk1
Site Admin

Re: Whats the difference between deluxe & super deluxe?

Post by mk1 »

Not a lot really. Time more than anything.

The Deluxe was the model above base in the early days.

In 1961 the "Super" was introduced. This had Cooper style trim. It was very expensive & was discontinued in 1963-ish.

When the Super was discontinued the Deluxe became the "Super Deluxe" until the end of MK1 production.

The spec of the Deluxe & SuperDeluxe were more or less identical. Carpet, better trim than the base model etc.

The Deluxe / Super Deluxe were always the most popular model in the Mini range.
Mark F
General dogsbody.
66Traveller

Post by 66Traveller »

The Deluxe had piano hinged opening rear windows, bright flat profile sill trim mouldings, bumpers with overriders (but not corner bars), a chromed numberplate light and 2 tone fleck / solid colour trim as well as wool carpets. It still had a single instrument (cream for Austins and Silver for Morris) and floor start.

The Super had Cooper trim and two tone paintwork, stainless steel 6 piece sill mouldings, the three instrument binnacle with black faced instruments, piano hinged rear windows and bumpers with overriders and corner bars.

The Super Deluxe had monotone paintwork and matching vinyl trim, the Super/ Cooper three instrument binnacle with black faced gauges, piano hinged rear windows one piece chrome plastic sill mouldings and bumpers with corner bars and overriders, and a black painted rear numberplate lamp.
mk1
Site Admin

Post by mk1 »

A far more comprehensive answer than mine :D
Mark F
General dogsbody.
Supersonic

Post by Supersonic »

66Traveller wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 12:56 pm The Deluxe had piano hinged opening rear windows, bright flat profile sill trim mouldings, bumpers with overriders (but not corner bars), a chromed numberplate light and 2 tone fleck / solid colour trim as well as wool carpets. It still had a single instrument (cream for Austins and Silver for Morris) and floor start.

The Super had Cooper trim and two tone paintwork, stainless steel 6 piece sill mouldings, the three instrument binnacle with black faced instruments, piano hinged rear windows and bumpers with overriders and corner bars.

The Super Deluxe had monotone paintwork and matching vinyl trim, the Super/ Cooper three instrument binnacle with black faced gauges, piano hinged rear windows one piece chrome plastic sill mouldings and bumpers with corner bars and overriders, and a black painted rear numberplate lamp.
Thank you for that detail correct assessment. Can I add that the early Super Deluxe had a chrome rear number plate lamp over here. The Super also had a chrome gear stick and handbrake I also recall :D :D :D

Alan
Old English White

Post by Old English White »

The earliest Super Deluxe models continued with the 3 piece per side stainless steel sill/wheelarch trim as shown on this quite correct and original example. This was inherited from the earlier Super model but not fitted to the Deluxe.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Time Bandit

Post by Time Bandit »

Supersonic wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 7:22 pm
66Traveller wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 12:56 pm The Deluxe had piano hinged opening rear windows, bright flat profile sill trim mouldings, bumpers with overriders (but not corner bars), a chromed numberplate light and 2 tone fleck / solid colour trim as well as wool carpets. It still had a single instrument (cream for Austins and Silver for Morris) and floor start.

Thank you for that detail correct assessment. Can I add that the early Super Deluxe had a chrome rear number plate lamp over here. The Super also had a chrome gear stick and handbrake I also recall :D :D :D

Alan
My very late (Sept 1967) Super Deluxe had a chrome number plate lamp too.
Mike
66Traveller

Post by 66Traveller »

Are you sure it was original and hadn't been swapped? My 27000 mile mid 1965 Super Deluxe, late 1967 Mk1 Super Deluxe (family owned from new) and low mileage unrestored late 1967 Mk2 Super Deluxe all had black painted rear numberplate lights.
mk1
Site Admin

Post by mk1 »

Specs are usually quite easy to find using the original brochures, some are reproduced on the Main MK1 site, however a more comprehensive resource is here

http://www.minipassionmini.50megs.com/p ... chures.htm
Mark F
General dogsbody.
66Traveller

Post by 66Traveller »

Bernard Griffin's old late Mk1 Super Deluxe which had only covered 272 miles from new features the black rear numberplate lamp

https://www.topgear.com/car-news/retro/ ... -miles-new

As does this 1967 Factory publicity shot for the newly launched Mk2 SDL
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.