1098 Issues

General Chat with an emphasis on BMC Minis & Other iconic cars of the 1960's. Includes information on MK1 Action days.
MarkBolton

1098 Issues

Post by MarkBolton »

Hi !

I bought a project a few months ago and it came with a 1098. It was in rough shape so I’ve decided to rebuild it over the winter. I have run into an issue trying to find piston rings. I’ve ordered the earliest ones I can find but the oil ring is incorrect, the one on my pistons is in 2 parts and has prongs that sit inside a hole located in the piston and has 3 rings surrounding it, middle one of the 3 has a slight wave to it. However the parts that arrived has a “solid” ring that is almost double the thickness. I have tried finding the rings as I believe my engine is from the ado16 era and was manufactured between 62-71 does anyone know where I can get a set of rings from? Or if not would any of the other 1098 pistons fit as I can buy a whole new set of pistons and rings for a few hundred pound so I don’t mind heading down that route if I have to.

Thanks in advance!
Supersonic

Re: 1098 Issues

Post by Supersonic »

Mark,

Firstly welcome to this forum. I'm a big fan of the1098cc engine. We built one a couple of years ago and it is so smooth, like a 998cc with 1275cc power.
We used gear from Keith Calver who supplies 1098cc parts. If you can live with slow order times, his stuff is first class. His email address is keith@calver.com

If I recall right his flat top pistons were £220 + VAT plus £20 postage.

Hope this helps you

Alan
AndyB72

Post by AndyB72 »

I've bought a few sets of oversized 1100 pistons from Keith over the years and haven't had any problems...

https://www.calverst.com/webshop/engine/
AndyB72

Post by AndyB72 »

Welcome by the way, could you update your profile so we know where you like on the planet.
mk1
Site Admin

Post by mk1 »

Welcome to the forum.

As has already been said your best bet is to buy a new set of pistons. Over the years there have been all sorts of pistons for 1100's from many different manufacturers. the chances of you finding a correct spare set of rings for your pistons is fairly slim. The one company that "may" be able to help are Thorntons. . . .

https://www.fwthornton.co.uk/

Would be useful to have a manufacturer or part number though.

Good luck.
Mark F
General dogsbody.
Spider

Post by Spider »

I'd suggest measuring the width of all the ring lands, most ring suppliers will ask for that.

They'll be an 'imperial' ring size, most of the new ones available in the UK these days seem to be metric.

Thorntons is who I'd suggest first up, though they maybe old, there will be rings available for them.

You can also try these guys https://www.ahspares.co.uk/sprite/

I bought a set of early +0.010's which were an odd size even in the day, one of my local suppliers had a set on the shelf.
LuisM

Post by LuisM »

Hello Mark,

If you provide me the piston and rings sizes, eventually a pic on the oil type you are after, i’ll have a look , as i have quite some NOS small bore ring sets.

Cheers
Luis