It’s looking like 2030 for E-day

General Chat with an emphasis on BMC Minis & Other iconic cars of the 1960's. Includes information on MK1 Action days.
mab01uk

Re: It’s looking like 2030 for E-day

Post by mab01uk »

Independent motor factors and garages will have to change but will they be able to adapt or eventually be squeezed out of the market with electric cars as ICE cars reduce in numbers?
Rolandino

Post by Rolandino »

What about Lorries? I havn't seen an "electric HGV". And planes ? What about people who wont be able to afford a new electric car? Its going to be a complete mess.
GraemeC

Post by GraemeC »

Tesla produce an E-HGV.

Not heard of any planes yet - I guess the problem there would be the fact that weight doesn't reduce the same as it does when fuel is burnt, probably making them much less efficient and maybe reducing the travel distances.

By the time we get to 2030 (if that's when it actually happens) those that are in the market for a brand new car will probably find they are no less affordable than the previous IC models.
MiNiKiN

Post by MiNiKiN »

Sadly there are so many myths and misconceptions about EVs around. The thing is you cannot just focus on the replacement of ICEs with EVs.
You have to look at and develop the bigger picture. Changes will happen, and EVs are one of them. It requires more change such as a switch to more sustainable Energy, local energy production and storage (e.g. in car batteries or stationary batteries) rather than central, shared and autonomous vehicles (for which EVs compared to ICEs are the easier to adapt basis) along with so called multi-modal transport (i.e. using public transport in combination with car sharing, bicycle, ...).

I have been professionally researching these scenarios and can tell you it is anything but a catastrophy, it is a big opportunity. Just needs the politicians and public to open their minds, to develop the coherent concepts, create the incentives and put these into reality.

Lorries: Tesla has a battery powered lorry in development namely the Semi and Megacharger) and Nicola a hydrogen powered one.

Planes: either they are going to change to alternative fuels and/or smaller electric ones have already been tested, like the Siemens powered airplane (branch now sold to Rolls Royce) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIM3pgxHVIM
or https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xe1g1JrRRkY

I love to watch Robert Llewellyn's "Fully Charged" on YouTube, which deals with all sorts of alternative energy and electric transport. Great watch, both interesting and educational. BTW: Johnny Smith, is also a presenter of Fully Charged - he - like I - has a faible for classic and electric vehicles - I like him very much :lol:
I keep my Heligan pineapple jam in Mk1 glass washer bottles :mrgreen:
MiNiKiN

Post by MiNiKiN »

N.B. because it is always (and partially rightly so) claimed how expensive and un-afforable EVs are for the average income classes:

Chinese manufacturer SUDA has homologated and started import of their medium sized EV to Germany - it has a 40kW battery and costs from 18,000EUR before state incentives - looks a bit like a Dacia - but not bad at all. http://www.sudacar.cn/en/
What I want to say is, that by 2030 competition and development of batteries will show a completely different picture to now.
Polarsilver

Post by Polarsilver »

I open my mind & ask ..What happens when the supply of Electricity becomes restricted.. as can happen due to natural events such as earth quake & other disaters that nature can supply? ..then we should consider Employee unrest Strikes , Sabotage, War & Hostility .. etc etc .. there are may ways to stop the supply of electricity distribution & prevent any well intentioned Country infrastructure from working in this so called digital age .. it not just my electric car that will stop some where up the M6 the Phone & Laptop can also run out of charge while i am awaiting rescue ..any country that is so called Green may become an easy target from any outside dodgy influence that perhaps being this method of Green is not the best way forward for their own Population.

Maybe conversation ..
Boris the peasants are revolting .. Frankly my dear i dont give a dam as i wont be in 10 Downing Street in 2030 ;)
MiNiKiN

Post by MiNiKiN »

Polarsilver wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:53 pm I open my mind & ask ..What happens when the supply of Electricity becomes restricted.. as can happen due to natural events such as earth quake & other disaters that nature can supply? ..then we should consider Employee unrest Strikes , Sabotage, War & Hostility .. etc etc .. there are may ways to stop the supply of electricity distribution & prevent any well intentioned Country infrastructure from working in this so called digital age .. it not just my electric car that will stop some where up the M6 the Phone & Laptop can also run out of charge while i am awaiting rescue ..any country that is so called Green may become an easy target from any outside dodgy influence that perhaps being this method of Green is not the best way forward for their own Population.

Maybe conversation ..
Boris the peasants are revolting .. Frankly my dear i dont give a dam as i wont be in 10 Downing Street in 2030 ;)
Where is the difference to now? Our society is already very vulnerable to such events. A little power outage for a couple of days and you have a mayhem.
This is one of many reasons, why I and experts of bigger format ;) say that it is necessary to produce and store powerin smaller grids.
As it is easier to target one big production centre, than hundreds of smaller ones. As simple as that.
Downside is of course, if you want de-centralised power generation you need smart grids, which are even more vulnerable to attack, if not protected accordingly. Difficult to not get into a catch 22 situation.
ads7

Post by ads7 »

Ive done a little work as an energy consultant in the past. As you rightly say large on site batteries are key as is a smart grid. Demand for power in general is ever rising so these improvements are inevitable.

If you've got a million quid kicking around and a medium sized factory etc. to utilise a battery the size of an Arctic container yud more than double your investment in around years. Economies of scale will bring costs down across the board including EVs sooner than you might think.

As mentioned EV lorries make a lot of sense as they can carry a lot of battery around with huge available torque
and.rs1800

Post by and.rs1800 »

Rolandino wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:26 pm What about Lorries? I havn't seen an "electric HGV". And planes ? What about people who wont be able to afford a new electric car? Its going to be a complete mess.
I drive a 32 ton tipper/grab lorry,it’s payload is just under 16 tons.this type of vehicle is essential in construction and utility work,and is not going to be replaced by a battery powered version anytime soon.can you imagine the weight of the batteries needed to power this and also power the crane on site.it also has to do some serious off roading up to it’s axles in mud.
It’s a modern euro 6 motor with a 400 bhp lump and in the 200,000 miles I’ve done in it since it was new,it’s averaged 5.6mpg-that tells you all you need to know about how hard it has to work.
People keep on about Tesla’s hgv-maybe for urban distribution-not in construction/long distance or heavy haulage any time soon!!
JohnA
Location: Up north where men are men and sheep are frightened

Post by JohnA »

Why the mad rush to go electric?
There was a program on TV a few days ago that featured a large city in China were almost all the vehicles including trucks and buses ran on Hydrogen, they also showed the same in Japan
Are we jumping the gun here ? there are alternative eco friendly ways to power vehicles still being developed
Are motor vehicles that much off a problem other than in cities
I've went shopping today so I thought after following this thread I'd look at the fruit and veg
Countries that it had to have been flown in from included
Thailand
India
Mexico
Guatemala
Peru
Brazil
Flowers are also flown from Africa
I don't see how things are going to improve until there are changes to capitalism and globalisation
International global companies are now so rich and powerful (and they pay minimal taxes) that they can influence government
policies, many politicians are involved with these companies
The main problem is there are too many people on the planet and until we can address this the planet will continue to distruct