It’s looking like 2030 for E-day

General Chat with an emphasis on BMC Minis & Other iconic cars of the 1960's. Includes information on MK1 Action days.
mab01uk

It’s looking like 2030 for E-day

Post by mab01uk »

"According to widespread reports in the press, Prime Minister Boris Johnson is planning to move the ban the sale of new petrol and diesel-engined cars from the old cut-off from 2035 to 2030. That’s following a move back in February, when it moved from the previous goalpost of 2040.
So, all of a sudden it looks like the end of new petrol and diesel-engined cars is looming into view rather sooner than we all thought when this concept was first floated not that long ago. Just to put this deadline into perspective, if we’re talking 1 January 2030, that’s a little over nine years away."
AROnline:-
https://www.aronline.co.uk/opinion/petr ... l-car-ban/
mab01uk

Re: It’s looking like 2030 for E-day

Post by mab01uk »

"Rishi Sunak is considering plans to charge motorists for using Britain’s roads amid concerns over a £40 billion tax shortfall created by the switch to electric cars. A Treasury paper on a new national road pricing scheme has been presented to the chancellor. The government will announce this week that a ban on the sale of new petrol and diesel cars, which forms part of the prime minister’s ten-point plan on climate change, will be brought forward to 2030."
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/char ... -t2bz9k6br
Hipwell

Post by Hipwell »

I don't think either are a surprise. Question then is if/when will they start phasing out petrol/diesel cars already on the road?
mab01uk

Post by mab01uk »

Poll: UK road pricing – yes or no?
The Engineer - In this week’s poll we’re asking whether readers think a “pay by the mile” model should be used to generate the tax revenues that will be lost through the switch to zero carbon motoring.
https://www.theengineer.co.uk/poll-uk-road-pricing/
Polarsilver

Post by Polarsilver »

Just Glad that i am "On The Way Out & Not On The Way In" as it will all end in Tears me-thinks.
Can agree Yes Save the Planet .. but not by the actions of National & Worldwide politicians who have their own agenda that does not fit within the reality of every day people.
Anyway i take this 2030 ban within the UK as a pre-warning to sell off my Classic Cars before they all become worthless. :roll:
hanlminiman
Location: Still in a Car Home in North Cotswolds, close to Prescott Hill Climb & Stratford upon Avon UK

Post by hanlminiman »

Polarsilver
D day was June 1944.
E Day = 2030
Not quite the same?
At our age, I suggest we now invest in tartan red electric mobility scooters with white roofs to protect us from the elements as we compete in our local area "grand prix" terrorising all the locals as we use the lanes provided for vulnerable "road" users. :lol:
Blacktulip

Post by Blacktulip »

I think that the fear of us not being able to drive petrol cars is a misconception. It's the ban on new cars sold being petrol or diesel. I doubt they will ban petrol cars off the road at 2030. I have also heard that all new cars will end up automatic very shortly too. Our classics will see us all out. One thing to hope is that petrol may end up cheaper.
Pandora

Post by Pandora »

I think the price of petrol will go through the roof, and the number of stations will drop as an inevitable consequence of a falling market. :(

Al
Bitsilly

Post by Bitsilly »

I am truly not being flippant here, but would it not be better to kill all the cows in the UK?
I know, its not going to happen, but I had a super strong latte double shot with oat milk this week after my daughter threatened to castrate me if I didn't and F-Me it was actually nice!
Bitsilly

Post by Bitsilly »

Should probably add that the inter web down the pub has proven that cow flatulence causes more problems than car emissions.
Also, after university I spent a further year in liaison with a site in Hawaii and I can tell you that someone will carry on selling petrol but it will not be cheap.