new garage construction...

General Chat with an emphasis on BMC Minis & Other iconic cars of the 1960's. Includes information on MK1 Action days.
gazza82

Re: new garage construction...

Post by gazza82 »

mab01uk wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 6:45 pmif you did go for a pit please remember to bear in mind the safety aspects when in use and uncovered, especially if you have children or visitors around who are unaware. Even if you are familiar with a pit and its location it is very easy to forget it is there during a moments distraction.....
Inspection Pits HSE guidance:-
http://www.vehicleinspectionpits.com/hse-guidance.html
Being the sort of Dad that wanted to protect his kids I was forever telling them to stay off the pit cover boards just in case. So imagine their surprise when they were watching me in the garage and I disappeared ... vertically downwards at 33 feet per second ... except part of the boarding came back up to meet me in the face!! A painful lesson .. but oddly the kids never went near it again .. even after I made up new, strengthened boards to cover the hole.
cheesebadger

Post by cheesebadger »

Hi guys,

Wow, thanks for all the additional comments - really appreciated!

I have lived in this house for just over 12 months, the existing garage roof had caved in and the walls were all over the place when we moved in. There is already a pit in that garage, which didn't have a cover. My first job when I moved in was to build a decent cover for the pit, brace the wall and construct a temporary roof. I needed somewhere to store my mini!
The plan was always to rebuild this as soon as funds allowed...

@Exminiman - thanks for suggestion of adding concrete pads in the future, I didn't even know this would be an option
@Polarsilver - I am hoping this is for the long term. I hope I can be playing with cars for the next 30 years (barring rugby injuries!), and have no immediate plans to move house. Nice idea about the pit, and construction, and hiding place ;)
I have done some research and think a mid rise scissor would be a more suitable option - maybe I have been put off by the existing pit that never looks appetising to get into...
@Bitsilly - No drains/sewers/services to worry about. This is my thought as well. Following early suggestions, plus yours, I will ask about the cost differences. A wheely stool sounds like a great option.
@GraemeC - This is the approach I have been thinking about (Automech and Strongman seem to make some good options). I like the idea because when not in use, they are just underneath the car. Do you have any experience with any particular models/brands?
@mab01uk - 100% agree. The first thing I did when I moved in was to build a solid cover for the existing pit.
@gazza82 - this is one of my concerns with a pit, sounds like a nasty accident. Good to hear it didn't put you off using the pit though.

Let's see what the structural engineer and builder say...
irlmin

Post by irlmin »

Forget the 'pit' I know too many people that have been injured and even died due to the dangers of a 'pit' one of the hidden dangers is fumes and with an ignition source like a grinder etc just a small spark will leave you with life changing burns at best , People have died looking for that elusive exhaust leak and were overcome with carbon dioxide . so best advice is get a lift , even a low / mid rise one . G
GraemeC

Post by GraemeC »

I have this one and can’t really fault it. I don’t use the arms, I have pads the full size of the platforms and use these to lift the Mini directly on the floor pans.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/124367380036

If I had the option of building one in from the outset, I’d go for something like this set flush into the floor:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/302714775151
nick@dunsdale

Post by nick@dunsdale »

GraemeC wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 7:04 pm

If I had the option of building one in from the outset, I’d go for something like this set flush into the floor:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/302714775151
Agree 110% flush fitted scissor lift takes up zero room, no trip hazard and looks so much better

I have mine at my place of work flush fitted yes it was a fair bit of work but so glad i did it.

The best repairs go un-noticed

http://www.dunsdalecoachworks.com
Nick W

Post by Nick W »

Or maybe a mobile single poster for around 2k
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Up North in Sheffield
cheesebadger

Post by cheesebadger »

Hi guys,

Thanks for the advice, I am amazed how much interest there is in this topic. Clearly too many of us have been crawling around under cars for too long, and have been considering alternatives!

@GraemeC - thanks for the links, the narrow version looks interesting.
@Nick@dunsdale - I agree, flush sounds like a much nicer option
@Nick W - nice idea, but don't think I can stretch/justify my budget that far

Given all the above recommendations, I feel like a flush mounted scissor is the right option, but requires a bit more planning upfront.
Unfortunately I would need to increase my budget compared to the smaller option.
Would I regret not having the smaller, cheaper more portable option?
@GraemeC, do you ever take you lift outside of the garage? Or is the "portability" a capability that is never utilised?

Cheers as always. Rich
GraemeC

Post by GraemeC »

I would take the portability with a pinch of salt - unless you have a perfectly smooth floor and plenty of traction on your trainers you’re not going to move it far - they’re a good few 100kgs!

I actually have mine ‘semi’ recessed as my garage had a 2” thick screed on top of a solid base so I cut out a section. You might find with it sat on the deck it will be touch and go whether a Mini will drive over it, especially if it is lowered. Easily fixed with a couple of planks though.
Polarsilver

Post by Polarsilver »

CheeseBadger.. I have a Strongman 4 post Lift (240v) since the last 5 years.. its the best present i ever purchased for myself .. made in China with big chunks of steel welded together by a guy who can structural weld .. Installed by Strongmen Tools it has been faultless .. i also use it as a long flat Work Bench for all types of work ..all set at my working height.
4x poster lift allows me to store two cars one up top on its tyres or blocks & the other parked underneath .. i always ensure the safety locks are active whenever i may be underside ..what goes up can come down ..for this reason I would not buy a single post lift as i would be very concerned about weight transfer given one end of a Mini is a lot heavier than the other with the engine installed .. can agree the Hydraulic Table lifts will work & i would have one if i did not have the Internal Garage Height ..however how long i would be happy to leave a gross weight Mini at height just supported on its Floor .. maybe not that long.
nick@dunsdale

Post by nick@dunsdale »

this was when mine was first installed

The best repairs go un-noticed

http://www.dunsdalecoachworks.com