new garage construction...

General Chat with an emphasis on BMC Minis & Other iconic cars of the 1960's. Includes information on MK1 Action days.
cheesebadger

new garage construction...

Post by cheesebadger »

Hi everyone,

Does anyone have any experience with specifying structures for buildings? Structural engineers? Architects? Builders? etc...
I am planning to have a new garage built, as part of a larger extension, and the suggestion from the structural engineer is for a block and beam floor.
I have pointed out to him my intended use of the garage, and potential load cases.

It just feels like it won't be as good as a solid floor. And I worry about cracks etc.
Any thoughts really appreciated.

Cheers, Rich
Jerryh997

Re: new garage construction...

Post by Jerryh997 »

Hi Rich
A block and beam floor that’s been correctly installed is perfectly adequate as long as it’s been designed by an Engineer, depending on the span there’s different types of beam either with 3 reinforcing bars or 5 also for additional strength the blocks are sometimes installed width ways instead of length ways and the beams still have a covering of concrete. A block and beam floor is normally only specified if there’s a large void beneath the floor though as it can prove better than backfilling and compacting as you would have to install a reinforced slab because over time the sub base could settle and you will get cracks then unless reinforced.
Hope this helps
Cheers
Jerry
mab01uk

Post by mab01uk »

The BuildHub forum is a useful resource for this kind of question:-
https://forum.buildhub.org.uk/

They also have a dedicated section for construction of Garages & Workshops:-
https://forum.buildhub.org.uk/forum/82- ... workshops/
cheesebadger

Post by cheesebadger »

Thanks for all the feedback guys.

It seems it isn't as bad as I first thought, as long as I don't ever want a 2 post lift (which I won't have the height for anyway)
Still some research to do, to decide between beam and block vs solid - but thanks for the advice and pointing me towards some good resources.

Cheers
Exminiman

Post by Exminiman »

Duplicate to delete
Last edited by Exminiman on Sat Nov 14, 2020 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Exminiman

Post by Exminiman »

cheesebadger wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 1:53 pm Thanks for all the feedback guys.

It seems it isn't as bad as I first thought, as long as I don't ever want a 2 post lift (which I won't have the height for anyway)
Still some research to do, to decide between beam and block vs solid - but thanks for the advice and pointing me towards some good resources.

Cheers
Block and beam floor is fine, if you ever want a lift, just knock out blocks and replace with concrete pads (leaving beams in place) and good builder could sort out for you.
Polarsilver

Post by Polarsilver »

Garage Floor Type is All dependant on "How Old "you will be when you stop messing about with Cars in that New Garage you intend to Build .. i would suggest that if your New Garage is intended for the Long Term (IF you do not have the height for a Car Lift ).. I would put in a Pit ( there are loads of ready make waterproof Pits available .. when you install your Garage Pit put some 50x50mm steel angles all around the top ..these will tie into the floor slab & can locate & secure your Wooden Pit Boards to cover the Pit when not is use & keep everything safe .. The steel angle will also allow a Hyd;Jack to locate onto these steel edge of Pit angles .. then you have a moving Jack that can then run along the full Pit Length for Jacking up the Car, also put in some in Pit Lighting & a Power Point
Also a Pit is an ideal storage place to hid something from the Wife she will never ever go & look down there 8-)
The Facts are your Pride & Joy may last longer than your own personal mobility.. yes getting Old is a Real Pain when Crawling under any Car .. how do i know this as a fact ;)
Bitsilly

Post by Bitsilly »

My tuppence!
It sounds strange to me unless there are other factors like drains/sewers/services where it will be built.
I would have thought for the cost of the preparation and materials, that it would be cheaper to dig it out, chuck in some rebar, get the required volume of ready mix, and use a pump contractors to pump it is (depending on access). The wall foundations will be needed with either method.
Have a chat with a builder.
Speed often keeps prices lower.

When it is fully dry, I would give it a good coating of two pack floor paint.

Regarding the pit, bear in mind good single phase lifts can be purchased for £4K and can be restricted to not lift the car into the ceiling, but still be more old bones and joints friendly for access (I use a wheely stool!). A pit will complicate the block and beam lay out, but will provide an excellent hiding place when needed.
GraemeC

Post by GraemeC »

If you can't get a 2 or 4 post in, consider a hydraulic scissor lift set into the floor. Starting price is about £1k and will lift about 1m.
For more money you can get ones with completely independent platforms that will lift high and give full access to the underside of the car.
mab01uk

Post by mab01uk »

if you did go for a pit please remember to bear in mind the safety aspects when in use and uncovered, especially if you have children or visitors around who are unaware. Even if you are familiar with a pit and its location it is very easy to forget it is there during a moments distraction.....
Inspection Pits HSE guidance:-
http://www.vehicleinspectionpits.com/hse-guidance.html