Rip off merchants

General Chat with an emphasis on BMC Minis & Other iconic cars of the 1960's. Includes information on MK1 Action days.
wild_willy

Re: Rip off merchants

Post by wild_willy »

This is a wonderful forum where members contribute their knowledge and in some cases parts that we need and often for little or no money. Just recently a forum member from Oz helped me with parts I needed and went out of his way to send photos and clean the parts before sending htem to me free of charge. I hopre that I am able to pay this forward in the near future.
Thank you Glen!

Maddog

Post by Maddog »

I too have benefited greatly not only from the knowledge base that this Forum offers, but from the generosity of people providing me parts assistance for nix, as well as being able to buy parts at very reasonable prices that would be much harder and more costly to find here in Australia.

I hope that this Forum continues to be active and well supported. We all owe a great debt to Mark, and to the many talented and knowledgeable contributors who provide entertaining and informative content. Since I gave up on buying magazines, this (and other) Forums have provided me with an excellent and reliable source and an outlet to talk about my favourite car with like minded people.

MrNoo

Post by MrNoo »

I have bought two items from members on here, one an absolute joy to deal with, item was as advertised, all present and correct and even delivered. The other was a total rip off merchant, not as advertised, untruthful and from that I could safely say untrustworthy, full of bullshit.
From being involved with Mini's in my teens/twenties, racing in the Mini Se7en series for 10 years then having a lay off and then getting back into them, the whole scene has changed, I guess as things become more valuable the sharks appear. Or maybe it's just that society has become this way.

Bitsilly

Post by Bitsilly »

Probably but don't give up on us buddy.
If there were no sh"*heads out there then good folk would only look normal!

Spider

Post by Spider »

Probably only echoing what many others have said here, but there's always going to be sharks and those who put money above all else. I laugh at those idiots as they really have no idea what makes the world go around and it's them who are missing so much in their empty lives.

Indeed, I've been sent stuff for nix or postage and likewise, I've reciprocated, with parts I have or the odd parts that I make. The parts I've bought, I've actually felt 'safer' doing so from a real fellow enthusiast, the likes of who are in these pages. The parts have been fairly priced and as advertised. Yes, I have seen a few adverts with those wanting to take advantage, but, I just don't need it that badly.

mk1
Site Admin

Post by mk1 »

MrNoo wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:05 pm
I have bought two items from members on here, one an absolute joy to deal with, item was as advertised, all present and correct and even delivered. The other was a total rip off merchant, not as advertised, untruthful and from that I could safely say untrustworthy, full of bullshit.
From being involved with Mini's in my teens/twenties, racing in the Mini Se7en series for 10 years then having a lay off and then getting back into them, the whole scene has changed, I guess as things become more valuable the sharks appear. Or maybe it's just that society has become this way.
The "Rip off merchant" referred to above was in regards to a deal made through ebay, NOT a deal made through this forum.
Mark F
General dogsbody.

kit of bits

Post by kit of bits »

I’ve met many nice forum members buying and selling and never had a bad deal, I suppose if you don’t like it here you have a right to leave!
Can we get back to talking about minis now please?
D

MrNoo

Post by MrNoo »

mk1 wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:57 pm
MrNoo wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:05 pm
The "Rip off merchant" referred to above was in regards to a deal made through ebay, NOT a deal made through this forum.
Indeed it was but the same seller is an active member (or was) on here and I received a few PM's after my post stating the same thing from forum member regarding said person and his dubious selling tactics, so surely it is in the interest of forum members.
I relied and explained in a PM to yourself, keeping it off "air" but then you post on "air" so I am happy to reply on air, I am happy to name and shame him on air if it saves someone else from being ripped off. It is obviously something I wouldnt normally do and I would not consider it normal forum etiquette, hence why I havent.

YMJ

Post by YMJ »

I thought I had the problem of selling parts licked, by asking Mark F what he thought the values were.
Quite rightly he told me to sod off (but in a nice way) because he couldn't possibly be responsible for valuing parts ; it wasn't his job.

Therefore my conclusion is ask as much as you like and accept any offers. all you are looking for is that first contact, then the haggling will usually sort out a fair price for both parties