Rip off merchants

General Chat with an emphasis on BMC Minis & Other iconic cars of the 1960's. Includes information on MK1 Action days.
Bitsilly

Rip off merchants

Post by Bitsilly »

I absolutely love and value this forum, and I have been privileged to be helped by some like minded folk, and I would like to think that I have passed on some help and good will too.
Is there any thing that can be done about our 'friends' selling stupidly expensive stuff with no fees from the 'for sale' section?
A number of time now I have asked for items in the wanted section, and/or have asked for prices from the 'for sale' section, only to get prices even more stupid than Ebay listings.
Is there any way that for sale items on this forum could be limited to 'non-profit'?
Or perhaps there could be a feedback value that signifies a seller has a history of not asking over inflated prices?
Or am I being naive thinking anyone would sign up to this forum just to make a few bob by taking advantage of the atmosphere of friendship and trust most members have?
I am sorry for sounding negative, and I am off to bed now, but I am sad that some of the items on sale here are available for less than half asking price from Ebay/Gumtree/Facebook.
Maybe I'm a dreamer.

jay weinstein

Re: Rip off merchants

Post by jay weinstein »

Very simple .... don't respond or purchase from them.
They always seem to " go away " anyways.
Have a good sleep 8-) 8-)

Lakeland997

Post by Lakeland997 »

The price of anything is set by demand.
Who are you (or I) to judge what is the ‘right’ price?
It’s also a moving feast: A year ago early chrome window catches were £25. Now they’re going for double that on EPay

I think most people appreciate the opportunity to buy rare parts on here before they are auctioned to the highest bidder. But it is only an opportunity.
Check prices elsewhere and if you can buy cheaper then do.
Sleep well!
Sleep is my favourite thing in the world. It's what gets me out of bed in the morning.

Highnumbers

Post by Highnumbers »

While I agree that a forum like this is more-or-less a community where we shouldn't try and grind every possible penny out of each other, unrealistic high prices do seem to take care of themselves.

If the price is absurd, just move on. That same part will inevitably be available later and hopefully at a better price.

It's sadly the same way on Facebook. I was asking around for a Mk1 rear window catch and somebody reached out to offer me one at £100... but three have sold in the past couple months for under £15 on eBay. :roll:

danm

Post by danm »

I've been signed up here a few years as a lurker but only recently listed items so (intentional or not) took interest in this thread.

I had a guy collect my air compressor, gun, feed lines and snap on ratchet. He haggled the listing price, then on arrival further haggled me down and less that 24 hours later had split the entire lot and was selling them on the same facebook group at marked up prices more than the value I'd originally listed at. I was a little annoyed at him, but ultimately he was a kid that saw a profit to be made, he didn't force me to drop my price and I was happy to sell them. I was probably more annoyed that I'd undersold them, but that's how the world is. The fact he then actually sold it on within 24 hours told me I wasn't up to speed with the price market.

The thing with old items is naturally they increase in value with time. That's almost a given, older parts become scarce. Prices reflect this.

I've heard so many people claim this that and the other about being able to buy something for some price less at a car show or gumtree. 20 years ago you could get a mint MK1 for £1k and drive it home, looking at old mini magazine classifieds is crazy.

We all love a bargain. But it's usually a rare thing, people want things right now and that is reflected in the somewhat inflated 'fast food' style of parts.

Trade works both ways. Sellers can list whatever they like at free will, the buyer is not obliged to accept the listed price. If the buyer doesn't bite, the item isn't sold. It stays unsold or the price drops.

Vintage original car parts are a supply and demand commodity. They aren't making any more. That means their value is only ever going to go up. People need to put opinion aside and accept the reality in this case.

Supply and demand works that if someone wants an item they will pay the price, the seller has the advantage. If they don't, then the buyer does. And because vintage car parts are a finite source, it's likely to nearly always be a sellers market.

The thing with this forum is that it's a niche market. There are bargains on here selling for way more elsewhere. That's great, for the buyer, but nobody scoffs at the chance presented for free extra money. A gentleman's agreement on prices is a nice idea but would only work on a basis of reputation and knowing people in person I think.

To those questioning the value of something, where do you draw the line? Say a guy up north wants an innocenti door pair but only willing to spend £150 a side as they refuse to accept market trends and believe prices should be the sane as they were in 1997. They're very hard to find. That budget is laughable. Here are his options:

- pay a premium for the only single door currently available on ebay on the south coast and guarantee you have it, and hope a second turns up.
- wait and hope to find a matching pair (may take years)
- haggle a guy on gumtree breaking his car who has a pair, but his only reference to value is the last pair that sold on ebay 2 years ago for £600.
- Buy a time machine.

The answer is its worth whatever anyone is willing to pay, whatever the initial markup is. That's basic trading.

jay weinstein

Post by jay weinstein »

I don't want to sound like an old bitter guy but I really enjoy helping other forum members
with their mini needs, FOC or really cheap(postage). I'd rather take 50 years of hoarding and collecting
mini parts and bin them rather then sell them to some of those USA assholes.

Exminiman

Post by Exminiman »

I understand where Bitsilly is coming from, but to be honest I still think most people on here are really nice and honest. I have been sent items that I needed for just the cost of the postage (and I had to force that on them) . There will always be the odd wanker trying to make a quick buck, most people on here are not, in my experience. In my view, a rating system for buyers / sellers would just make it complicated for the folks that run the site, if you have a bad experience, PM a mediator they have the ability to block them :D
Last edited by Exminiman on Wed Oct 14, 2020 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
52 Festive Road, London.
https://youtu.be/3QQFJqOmh5I

jay weinstein

Post by jay weinstein »

Marks done a hell of of job with this site.......none better !!!!!!!!!!!!

johnv

Post by johnv »

If somebody's asking 4x ebay price for something on here I'm sure there's people who'd let him know fairly promptly!
Mk2 Cooper
Mk1 Cooper project
Mk3 Cooper S

Lakeland997

Post by Lakeland997 »

Oh, and the reason most people are selling old Mini stuff on here is so they can buy more old Mini stuff. ;)
So what goes around...
Sleep is my favourite thing in the world. It's what gets me out of bed in the morning.