Quarter Light Window Catch - Rivet pins?

General Chat with an emphasis on BMC Minis & Other iconic cars of the 1960's. Includes information on MK1 Action days.
Highnumbers

Quarter Light Window Catch - Rivet pins?

Post by Highnumbers »

After searching everywhere for a replacement quarter light window catch in good shape and coming up empty-handed, I decided to disassemble an old one I have here and send out all the various pieces to be rechromed.

It comes apart fairly easily with removal of two pins, one long (60mm) flared on both sides, and one shorter dome-headed pin flared on one side only.

Does anybody know where to source replacement pins for the longer one? 60mm long, 3.8mm thick.

Apologies if this is a standard hardware item than can be searched, I'm not sure what to call this piece and have looked around.

floormanager

Re: Quarter Light Window Catch - Rivet pins?

Post by floormanager »

Interesting. How did you get the pin out / remove the ends?
Paul

Gary Schulz

Post by Gary Schulz »

I very gently pressed the pin out by pushing on the flared side. This split the flare a little bit but it was still in good enough shape for me to reuse it after I had all the parts rechromed. The flare doesn't have a lot of "work" to do since there is no real force on it trying to push it up or down in normal operation.

Highnumbers

Post by Highnumbers »

floormanager wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:18 pm
Interesting. How did you get the pin out / remove the ends?
Paul
I used a sharp flat chisel on one end to push the flared material in, then a punch on that same side to push it through the other end. Comes out fairly easy, and the other smaller rivet (with big round chromed dome end) comes out even easier.
Gary Schulz wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:10 pm
I very gently pressed the pin out by pushing on the flared side. This split the flare a little bit but it was still in good enough shape for me to reuse it after I had all the parts rechromed. The flare doesn't have a lot of "work" to do since there is no real force on it trying to push it up or down in normal operation.
Thanks Gary, that's a good point about it not being under much force. I can probably get this one to work again, once everything is rechromed. Figured I would see if it's a standard part, just in case.

MiNiKiN

Post by MiNiKiN »

If you want to play safe and deviate slightly from originality:
A) drill the shaft for an M3 thread (i.e. w/ a 2.5mm drill bit) on a lathe and fit an M3 allen dome head screw after assembly
B) drill the shaft for one of those hammer-in rivets as used on the engine number tag and fit the rivet after assembly (this rivet should fit: https://www.sip-scootershop.com/en/prod ... +_17462900
I keep my Heligan pineapple jam in Mk1 glass washer bottles :mrgreen:

Polarsilver

Post by Polarsilver »

Do not crimp on rebuild the Long Pin it will then be removable & quick release .. this will allow a Piano Hinge Rear Window to Open Wide for Loading a weekend bag or whatever into the rear seat or aid cleaning of the window itself ;)

Hipwell

Post by Hipwell »

Sorry no help on the pin, but the Mini rear quarterlight catch must be very similar to early MGB GT ones, anyone compared it.

mk1
Site Admin

Post by mk1 »

Mark F
General dogsbody.

Gary Schulz

Post by Gary Schulz »

Polarsilver wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:31 am
Do not crimp on rebuild the Long Pin it will then be removable & quick release .. this will allow a Piano Hinge Rear Window to Open Wide for Loading a weekend bag or whatever into the rear seat or aid cleaning of the window itself ;)
That is a great idea. I can see just basically dropping in the pin and then being able to pull it out for ease of access to the inside of the window. A lot easier to clean the window that way...

MiNiKiN

Post by MiNiKiN »

:idea: Or you attach a pneumatic cylinder actuated by the brake for the quarter lights to act as an air-brake :lol: :lol: :lol:
I keep my Heligan pineapple jam in Mk1 glass washer bottles :mrgreen: