Any bodywork/resto help?

General Chat with an emphasis on BMC Minis & Other iconic cars of the 1960's. Includes information on MK1 Action days.
wantafaster1

Any bodywork/resto help?

Post by wantafaster1 »

Folks I'm not very confident and might have bitten off more than I can chew.

Competent welder and can do some fabrication.

I'm going nowhere fast with a project car. On the face of it a really solid car, inner and outer sills replaced with quality panels already.

I cut out the seat cross member and found holes, therefore ordere some full length floorpans that I intended to trim to fit, eradicating previous repairs.

Removed companion bins, to discover that the original inner sill was sandwiched between old and new, heel board stiffener/ obviously not connected to much. I don't want to be doing this in a couple of years time.

What is the tipping point where you think bugger it, I'll fit a complete floor assembly?

All serious opinions welcome.

Andrew1967
Location: Usually in my garage on the east coast of Norfolk, UK

Re: Any bodywork/resto help?

Post by Andrew1967 »

Half floors are in some ways easier to do as you don't have to brace so much. Do each side and then replace the heel board or just the ends if the centre is good.

With the rear pockets out it is easy to replace the stiffener panels inside the pockets.

However, the MiniMachine full floor is really good, with the seat crossmember and heel board already fitted and jigged up square. Outer sills also attached. It is made up of half floors and a centre tunnel

A lot is said about the one piece Magnum panel but it is only a skin pressing and I do wonder how straight it is and how difficult it would be to fit in comparison to the MiniMachine assembly, which I found a doddle to fit.

On 9748KO, I fitted the MiniMachine full length floors 'up to the 1st flute' as that was all that was needed and then outer heel board panels.

If I do another car with really rotten floors and heel board I would more than likely go MiniMachine full floor again.

harrymini

Post by harrymini »

I personally for cars i own have fitted around 4 or 5 full floors, i would not dream of putting in a pair of half floors. They are great to measure off and make the car square, really sturdy and well welded together. Just my opinion but when you are doing full floors you are going to be spending alot of money on other panels so i always start off with a good base.

wantafaster1

Post by wantafaster1 »

Wish I could upload pics from phone to show the issues.
Another thing is that the inner sill is perfect except where the outer lapped over it, it's well pitted now.

I don't think I can trust leaving it, I'm too far into this financially to back out, can't easily justify the extra money either for even the magnum floor. But if that's the only way out.

I follow Owen fabrication on social media as far as I know they fit Magnum floors.

harrymini

Post by harrymini »

post some pictures up, im sure people will be happy to offer some advice