MOT Exemptions For Historic Vehicles Northern Ireland

General Chat with an emphasis on BMC Minis & Other iconic cars of the 1960's. Includes information on MK1 Action days.
Supersonic

MOT Exemptions For Historic Vehicles Northern Ireland

Post by Supersonic »

Mrs Nichola Mallon Department for Infrastructure Minister announced in the Assembly on 21st September that the MOT exemption for Historic Vehicles will change to a 40 year rule to bring NI into line with GB. This will come into force on 12th October 2020. Happy days all-round :D :D :D :D

Alan

wantafaster1

Re: MOT Exemptions For Historic Vehicles Northern Ireland

Post by wantafaster1 »

Well yes it's ok and will take the pressure off the system.

As someone else on the forum raised a while ago, I'd still prefer to be buying something with an mot.
My recent experience with an mot exempt car has overall been not so bad, sticky handbrake ok, but the fuel pipe from the tank wasn't ok at all and could have had dire consequences.

I suppose that's the difference between an enthusiastic owner, and a capable owner.

Sixbangerlandcrab

Post by Sixbangerlandcrab »

Yes I'll agree it is good news. No point pretending I'm not happy my cars won't see the MOT centre again but I agree with wantafaster1 completely. It is a joy that I no longer have to undergo the annual rigorous inspection however the onus is now more than ever on me to keep things right. My friend Richard is an MOT inspector and I'll still be having him help me check my vehicles regularly. After all I wouldn't send my wife or daughter out in a car that potentially isn't safe.

And yes wantafaster1 there is definitely a difference between an enthusiastic owner and a capable owner. Or maybe that should be a competent owner!
Some day when I'm older, I hope the Good Lord preserves me to have a huge dose of crabs

m8cda

Post by m8cda »

Alan, would I be correct in thinking cars won’t be automatically exempt until you class them as a vehicle of historical interest? I know I be first in line for exemption, been waiting to long for the rule to apply to ni so hopefully it happens this time.
Craig

Supersonic

Post by Supersonic »

Hi Craig,

If it does not say Historic Vehicle in the tax class of the red/blue/pink V5c registration certificate, change it to Historic Vehicle in part 7 (changes to current vehicle) sign and date the registered keeper part 8 section and send to DVLA Swansea, SA99 1BA.

When the DVLA return your V5c registration certificate, you can go to the Post Office and tax your car, you'll need to declare that it is exempt from the MOT process, and confirm that it has not been substantially changed in the past 30 years.

Tax exemption for classic cars is now rolling. This means that from 1 April each year, vehicles manufactured more than 40 years before 1 January of that year are automatically exempt from paying Vehicle Excise Duty (VED).

Great news for me, but regardless I will keep my old vehicles to a high standard as 99% of people will. :D :)

Alan

Supersonic

Post by Supersonic »

Supersonic wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 10:27 am
Mrs Nichola Mallon Department for Infrastructure Minister announced in the Assembly on 21st September that the MOT exemption for Historic Vehicles will change to a 40 year rule to bring NI into line with GB. This will come into force on 12th October 2020. Happy days all-round :D :D :D :D

Alan

In force from today here in Northern Ireland :D :D :D

Alan

miniminor

Post by miniminor »

About the only beneficial thing our idiots in local government have done! :roll:
"Get the wheels in line, Get the wheels in line with it! ..... and then slam your brakes on or we'll be in the cabin ! "

1963 Morris Mini Minor Superdeluxe
2014 Freelander 2 SD4