Alloy Blocks & Unicorns

General Chat with an emphasis on BMC Minis & Other iconic cars of the 1960's. Includes information on MK1 Action days.
InnoCooperExport

Re: Alloy Blocks & Unicorns

Post by InnoCooperExport »

the only racing I can see this being remotely eligible for is the Fastest Mini The World that Roald Rakers is organising at Brands'. Maybe the Libre class from the Mini 7 Racing Club will allow them?

As for the Restomod scene, I'm not sure they will embrace them like they have Honda and Suzuki engines just for the shear cost of the things, I can't imagine they will be anywhere near a used Honda B20 or Swift GTi block or even a modified A-series for the BMW K head. Nevertheless I'd still like to see one go and I'm curious what sort of figures they will make (both in power/torque and cost)
Of course I know what a dipstick is, you get called something often enough you look it up!
Mini-geek

Post by Mini-geek »

There's one huge problem that's been over looked in my opinion... The supply of the BMW heads.. they aren't making any more so there's a finite supply and will only continue to increase in value (the same issue with the a series block)

And why would you spend all this time to make a perfect block for a compromised head anyway?

Still I have to say well done for actually doing it but I really don't think it's what's needed...
Hipwell

Post by Hipwell »

InnoCooperExport wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 4:02 pm
As for the Restomod scene, I'm not sure they will embrace them like they have Honda and Suzuki engines just for the shear cost of the things, I can't imagine they will be anywhere near a used Honda B20 or Swift GTi block or even a modified A-series for the BMW K head. Nevertheless I'd still like to see one go and I'm curious what sort of figures they will make (both in power/torque and cost)
They are under 1300cc’s and 10000rpm so will be poo on the road, a 1460 KAD 16V engine is proven, cheaper, and probably more powerful.
turbocox

Post by turbocox »

Not sure if anyone’s seen this little video......

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jtp2sJBU0_U
mk1
Site Admin

Post by mk1 »

That's a really interesting clip. Jeebus! That presenter is annoying though :lol:

As I have always said, I really look forward to seeing one of these running & finished, I do wonder about the demand though.
Mark F
General dogsbody.
rolesyboy

Post by rolesyboy »

I think this looks superb in terms of visuals but I would question if it would be any good for racing in it’s current guise. There doesn’t appear to be anything supporting the tops if the liners.
10,000 rpm seems a bit ambitious unless he a unique method of stopping the liners wobbling at the top when the pistons change direction at tdc? I doubt the cylinder head clamping load will stop the liners from shuffling unless I am missing something here?
I hope I am proven wrong. It seems odd that the guy has the sophistication to get it this far yet seems to have potentially overlooked a number of core factors moreover who will buy the end product?? I’d be surprised if it was ‘price-rangey’ enough to appeal to the masses.
Hope he succeeds though. If he does I want one 😂
Rolesyboy
GraemeC

Post by GraemeC »

Later photos show a plate being laser welded in that closes off the water jacket
rolesyboy

Post by rolesyboy »

Thanks Graeme. I thought it seemed odd especially given how good the rest of it looks.
Are there more updates on this anywhere?
Rolesyboy
Richspec

Post by Richspec »

rolesyboy wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 10:37 am Thanks Graeme. I thought it seemed odd especially given how good the rest of it looks.
Are there more updates on this anywhere?
Shed loads of pics and info on facebook, as indicated the block guards were laser welded into place and the power figures they are aiming for are way in excess of anything you'd see from a KAD head!! now a KAD head on one of these blocks....or a blown 8 port.....ummm :D :D

https://www.facebook.com/Ascaso-Enginee ... 4667308270

https://www.facebook.com/groups/396144094813225
Wanna see what I'm playing with? Youtube Channel
Caution ;) may contain 8 Ports, Xe's and VTec's, I don't do standard!
agricola

Post by agricola »

The wonders of CNC no pushrod holes....yet?