Avon CR6Zz Vs Dunlop slicks

General Chat with an emphasis on BMC Minis & Other iconic cars of the 1960's. Includes information on MK1 Action days.
Mini-geek

Avon CR6Zz Vs Dunlop slicks

Post by Mini-geek »

Hi I'm destroying Yokohama 32Rs after one track day now and I'm looking for something a bit better

The 32r has too soft a side wall and a wearing out on the outside edge, the Avon CR6ZZ has been recommended to me but at £194 I'm struggling to justify the cost because you can get the miglia slicks for £170 each.

Which are better for grip feel etc. And how long they last.

I take it I'll be fine running them on 6 inch wheels?

GraemeC

Re: Avon CR6Zz Vs Dunlop slicks

Post by GraemeC »

Whereabouts are you? If UK, the Avons aren't £194 if you buy direct through BMTR (still not cheap - somewhere around £150-£160 last time I bought them). And sometimes one of the tyre broker sites has them cheaper (Tyreleader?).

I would suspect you'd get 3 times the life out of them than the 032's - so that puts the price back into a similar ballpark.

I've no experience of the slicks, but if you got to a trackday and it rains, what do you then use?

Mini-geek

Post by Mini-geek »

Yeah in the UK. I'll check those suppliers out.

For wets I'd probably just use 32Rs

mk1
Site Admin

Post by mk1 »

For the sort of thing you are using your car for, Avon's sound like the perfect choice. It's impossible to compare them to a slick though. Just no comparison.
Mark F
"I'm a very friendly Lion called Parsley".

Mini-geek

Post by Mini-geek »

Can you elaborate on the no comparison?

mk1
Site Admin

Post by mk1 »

You can run both on 6" rims. I do.

The reason I use Avon's on some events & Slicks on others is purely dependant on what class I am running in. If a road legal tyre is required then I use Avon's, if I can use anything I will use a slick.

The Avon's are an E marked road tyre in a well developed Competition style compound. They last incredibly well & stick better than any other "normal" road type tyre. When we were circuit racing we would get a good 1/2 season out of a set of Avon's assuming the geometry was correct.

The slicks however are true racing tyres. They will give you 20 or 30 laps in most applications, are useless in the wet, will go off over winter & end up as hard as 1000 year old leather & totally useless after a year or so. You will benefit from changing steering geometry to use them & you will almost certainly have to use spacers to allow them to clear your shockers. You would easily scrub a set of slicks off during a single track day.

Thinking about buying a set of slicks because the purchase price is less than a set of Avons is, how can I put this. . . . . False economy.

In use, a set of Avon's will work out about 1/6 - 1/8th the cost of Slicks lap for lap.
Mark F
"I'm a very friendly Lion called Parsley".

GeorgeA

Post by GeorgeA »

Mini-geek wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:08 am
Hi I'm destroying Yokohama 32Rs after one track day now and I'm looking for something a bit better

The 32r has too soft a side wall and a wearing out on the outside edge, the Avon CR6ZZ has been recommended to me but at £194 I'm struggling to justify the cost because you can get the miglia slicks for £170 each.

Which are better for grip feel etc. And how long they last.

I take it I'll be fine running them on 6 inch wheels?
Call BMTR Tel: 0121 331 1122

i got a set of them recently and they were alot cheaper £160 each delivered rings a bell. BMTR were the cheaper than the online sites at the moment when i called them

Mini-geek

Post by Mini-geek »

Thanks yep fully understand now

Avon's it is I've called BMTR and they are going to get back to me.

GraemeC

Post by GraemeC »

You won't regret it (or at least I'll be very surprised if you do!)

Mini-geek

Post by Mini-geek »

Was the £160 each including vat?