Motorway Speed Limit to be 60mph In four areas

General Chat with an emphasis on BMC Minis & Other iconic cars of the 1960's. Includes information on MK1 Action days.
UHR850

Re: Motorway Speed Limit to be 60mph In four areas

Post by UHR850 »

:roll: In the Netherlands the speed limits are on the highway everywhere 60 miles per hour.
From 7 pm till 6 am 64 miles per hour is allowed.

Kees.
DOWNTON Mini is what I like a lot.
Collecting 60th wooden steeringwheels.

Louis

Post by Louis »

roymck wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:35 am
Surely driving slower means journey times are longer hence more pollution or am I being stupid
I believed it is based on the emissions of vehicles at 60mph Vs 70mph rather than volume of vehicles. Nox and Pm are of concern now but give it a few years and there will be a change of mind again.

A large section of road near me just reduced to 50 from 70 for this reason and they claim it has helped, but the pessimistic side of me would doubt their reports.

roymck

Post by roymck »

Louis wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:01 pm
roymck wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:35 am
Surely driving slower means journey times are longer hence more pollution or am I being stupid
I believed it is based on the emissions of vehicles at 60mph Vs 70mph rather than volume of vehicles. Nox and Pm are of concern now but give it a few years and there will be a change of mind again.

A large section of road near me just reduced to 50 from 70 for this reason and they claim it has helped, but the pessimistic side of me would doubt their reports.
My theory is if you decrease speed by 10% then you spend 10% longer on the road does this equate to 10% less emissions, this equals my dinner being cold and the oven being kept on.
8662 FN Austin Mini

I know its not original I like it this way

My wife says I don’t listen to her or something like that !

Mini-geek

Post by Mini-geek »

Will that mean electric cars can go as fast as they like now?