Looking For My Old Mk I Cooper Ss + One Other Unique Mini

General Chat with an emphasis on BMC Minis & Other iconic cars of the 1960's. Includes information on MK1 Action days.
JeremyD

Looking For My Old Mk I Cooper Ss + One Other Unique Mini

Post by JeremyD »

In the 60s and 70s through to 1991 I owned two Cooper Ss and a unique Innocenti Bertone hatchback in South Africa and wonder if they are still around. If anyone has any information I would love to hear. Private message preferred.

The first is a 1968 Mk I Austin Cooper S - light powder blue with white roof. It had Australian style wind-down windows and was fitted with 'Rally' mag wheels as the time. I sold it in 1971

The second is a 1968 Mk I Morris Cooper S - originally green with a white roof, but I decided to convert it to Mk II spec in 1972 and paint it Island blue with a OEW roof. It also had Australian wind-down windows. It had Cooper S 4 1/2 J wheels. It was fitted with twin Dellorto carburettors. I sold it in 1991.

The third is a 1979 Innocenti 120 Bertone - red with blue interior. Italian body on Mini subframes and 1275 engine. Absolutely unique in South Africa. I sold it in 1991.

See pictures below.
I miss them all and would love to hear if any are still around.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

jay weinstein

Re: Looking For My Old Mk I Cooper Ss + One Other Unique Mini

Post by jay weinstein »

Can't help with your search but you sure had some nice cars!
Good luck with your search.

mab01uk

Post by mab01uk »

DVLA record before export:-
DYO 677V
✗ Untaxed
Tax due: 1 November 1981
MOT No results returned
Vehicle make LEYLAND CARS
Date of first registration November 1979
Year of manufacture 1979
Cylinder capacity 1275 cc
Fuel type PETROL
Export marker Yes
Vehicle status Untaxed
Vehicle colour RED
Date of last V5C (logbook) issued 13 November 1979

JeremyD

Post by JeremyD »

That's correct. I exported the Innocenti to South Africa in 1981 and kept it there until 1991 when I sold it in South Africa.

mab01uk

Post by mab01uk »

JeremyD wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:30 am
That's correct. I exported the Innocenti to South Africa in 1981 and kept it there until 1991 when I sold it in South Africa.
The few Innocenti Hatchbacks that came to the UK seemed to rust well, so hopefully there is more chance it survived in the South African climate.

Innocenti 120 restoration project:-
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=28590

What if BL had introduced the Innocenti Mini in the UK?
"In the months following the October 1974 launch of the Innocenti Mini in mainland Europe, BL did talk to Bertone and explore using this car’s body in the UK. The original plan had been to build it on a much larger scale than in Italy, and thereby give the company an opportunity to introduce a stylish supermini just when it needed it most....."
https://www.aronline.co.uk/opinion/what ... in-the-uk/

JeremyD

Post by JeremyD »

mab01uk wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 1:36 pm

The few Innocenti Hatchbacks that came to the UK seemed to rust well, so hopefully there is more chance it survived in the South African climate.

Innocenti 120 restoration project:-
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=28590

What if BL had introduced the Innocenti Mini in the UK?
"In the months following the October 1974 launch of the Innocenti Mini in mainland Europe, BL did talk to Bertone and explore using this car’s body in the UK. The original plan had been to build it on a much larger scale than in Italy, and thereby give the company an opportunity to introduce a stylish supermini just when it needed it most....."
https://www.aronline.co.uk/opinion/what ... in-the-uk/
What a pity BL didn't do this. I bought my Innocenti from London Garages, Gopsall Street N1, in 1979. The price was £3,500. They imported them from Belgium, so the hand book was in Belgian, and converted them to right hand drive. Easy to do on all Minis. It had a single 1 3/4" SU instead of twins, but the bonnet catch (the bonnet opened up forward) was right where a twin carb setup would be so not easy to fit twin carbs without some body work modification. It was a fantastic comfortable car with almost Cooper S performance. The suspension was rubber cone. I lived in Birmingham at the time and the owner of Midland Mini Centre also had one. Otherwise it was pretty unique on the road. I recall playing golf with a friend who had a Ferrari and I bet him there would be more people gathered around my Innocenti after that game than his Ferrari. I won the bet. Mine never rusted here or in South Africa. I should never have sold it. Ah well !