How old is Triggers Broom?

General Chat with an emphasis on BMC Minis & Other iconic cars of the 1960's. Includes information on MK1 Action days.
mk1
Site Admin
Location: In the Herb Garden (Somewhere in the North of England)

Re: How old is Triggers Broom?

Post by mk1 »

Thanks for an interesting post "Bitsilly".

The questions you raised were far from silly though :)

Reading through your posts & comments, I strongly believe that you have absolutely nothing to worry about at all. We all know that many, if not most Mini's have had a lot of surgery over the years & this is very rarely anything to worry about at all. From what I can glean I reckon it is highly likely that you have a very early shell with many later modifications / repairs as part of a perfectly straight forward history.

I feel sure that the FE will come back as an early one. If it doesn't, SO WHAT! It's just part of the story of your car.

If anyone at some point feels the need to point out any "inconsistencies" I suggest that you take polarsilver's sage advice.

Post by Polarsilver » Sat Jul 18, 2020 8:59 pm

. . . . . . . tell them to sod off .
Mark F
"I'm a very friendly Lion called Parsley".

GraemeC

Post by GraemeC »

You have an interesting car and it will make an excellent project. I'm not trying to discredit what you have in any way, but a thought has entered my head from what you've described. There's just one thing about what you describe that concerns me and you should check it thoroughly.....

You say there is a welded join on the A pillars and its been concluded that the (top half) of the B pillars don't match the front end or floor. Please take the time to satisfy yourself that the car isn't a 'cut and shut' - it was very prevalent back in the day.

Don't get me wrong, if done well it can be a good repair and create a perfectly strong shell, but if not.....
Given the age of your car, if it has had such a repair it looks like it has stood the test of time. However, if it was mine, I would at least want to know.

Bitsilly

Post by Bitsilly »

Yes, I will do.
I have had a couple of people look at various aspects of the shell and haven't finished yet!
Thanks all.

woodypup59

Post by woodypup59 »

Some pictures would be great.

It sounds as if your car has had a new roof. I've seen a few bodegs over 50 years, but a join in the A pillars between recessed and unrecessed screen panels is a new one.

Bitsilly

Post by Bitsilly »

looking again, there may be a recess on the bottom, I'll get a picture ASAP

Bitsilly

Post by Bitsilly »

There is a recess but it is very slight on one side.
I have just spent ages trying to post a photo but the files are too big.
I will try again when my son is back!

Bitsilly

Post by Bitsilly »

Just a little up date.
I have seen photos of the restoration of the shell and I am happy the seat belt points have been put in properly and safely.
The wiper motor is dated 1960, and the starter button is dated 1959 so I will carry on with the restoration1

I will be recovering the front and back seats as my wife won't sit on them otherwise (no smart cracks please)!
Do the old covers have any worth?
They used to be grey fleck and red.
I still cannot upload photos but if they are any good to anyone please pm me.
Cheers

DB1380

Post by DB1380 »

Bitsilly wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:05 am
Just a little up date.
I have seen photos of the restoration of the shell and I am happy the seat belt points have been put in properly and safely.
The wiper motor is dated 1960, and the starter button is dated 1959 so I will carry on with the restoration1

I will be recovering the front and back seats as my wife won't sit on them otherwise (no smart cracks please)!
Do the old covers have any worth?
They used to be grey fleck and red.
I still cannot upload photos but if they are any good to anyone please pm me.
Cheers
Anything off a MK1 is worth something to someone, just have a look through the For Sale section on here and the likes of ebay....Some of the prices will frighten the life out of ya !! lol
Cheers Dicky.

KPB 729C 65 Mini Minor 1380

Bitsilly

Post by Bitsilly »

True that!
But I today received, free of charge, a door pull cable from Aginley whom i have never met.
I am blown away by the generosity of strangers! I am sure he could have sold it on Ebay but didn't even charge me postage!
When I grow up I want to be just like him.
And I promised to pass on the good Karma!