Tax and MoT exemption.

General Chat with an emphasis on BMC Minis & Other iconic cars of the 1960's. Includes information on MK1 Action days.
Vortz marcos

Tax and MoT exemption.

Post by Vortz marcos »

Ok so my mini is not a mk1 but is now 41 years old. It's almost finished thanks to covid 19 and with me being furloughed. It's not registered as historic yet and I need to do it. On recent trip to the post office recently it took my log book and the mot exemption form. The lady on the counter said she could not do it until it's needed to be taxed,and then proceeded to rant to her colleague about why some cars that use the road don't pay tax are disgraceful. However I want to get all this in place for when the cars finished so I'm not waiting for the paperwork while it's in the garage finished. Should/could I send it all off to DVLA for them to process. It's been a long time since I had a tax exempt car and used to get grief when I went to the post office back then as well. I've lost touch with how this all works.

trevorhp

Re: Tax and MoT exemption.

Post by trevorhp »

Register it as historic
Pay the zero 'tax' online
Take forms to post office
easy :lol: good luck
"Ambition: the first step on the road to disappointment" Homer. J. Simpson
"Disappointment: the first step on the road to enlightenment" Buddha
"Enlightenment: the first step on the road to ambition" Dalai Lama

mab01uk

Post by mab01uk »

This is a useful guide linked below from some members of 'The Mini Forum' who have recently been through the process:-
Declaring Tax And Mot Exempt:-
http://www.theminiforum.co.uk/forums/to ... ot-exempt/

And some from since the DVLA 'Lockdown' here:-
http://www.theminiforum.co.uk/forums/to ... -question/
Last edited by mab01uk on Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pedromintor

Post by Pedromintor »

The post office can change taxation class
Find another post office that does car tax. The post office should of taxed it for you as historic. Wrote historic as new taxation class on the logbook. The postoffice keep the logbook and send to dvla. you get a new logbook in post. In mean time you can use the mini as its taxed for 12months. just need take logbook and mot exempt form . thanks

peter

kit of bits

Post by kit of bits »

Just had the same thing, local PO wasn’t interested so I went to our local small town PO she changed the tax class for me and free taxed it as well, luckily I had a knowledge member of staff..
Just to add insurance was done with flux, extremely helpful and agreed value £20,000 at my house and storage £107 a year..
D

surfblue63

Post by surfblue63 »

All the information you need is here, including links to download and print any forms you may need.

https://www.gov.uk/change-vehicle-tax-c ... -is-exempt
Has any body seen a dog dyed dark green?

Polarsilver

Post by Polarsilver »

your Car needs to be current Taxed this is the DVLA requirement .. then send off the relevant forms & your V5c .. DVLA will send back your new V5c showing Historic Vehicle status then you can reclaim your Tax money .. you will only get the remaining Tax owed at the time of your end of month claim .. all easy if you do it in the correct way. ;)

kit of bits

Post by kit of bits »

They just changed mine to historic at the post office and sent away the logbook for me ..no money paid..
D