Mot Extensions Continue

General Chat with an emphasis on BMC Minis & Other iconic cars of the 1960's. Includes information on MK1 Action days.
mab01uk

Mot Extensions Continue

Post by mab01uk »

"In a written response to the Independent Garage Association, Transport Secretary Grant Shapps has said the extension is constantly under review, but will remain in place until a safe way for conducting MOT's can be found. Shapps also said that the government needs to work out a way to ensure there is ‘sufficient capacity’ when tests are reintroduced."
https://classicsworld.co.uk/news/mot-ex ... 0AV,6JSF,1

AndyPen

Re: Mot Extensions Continue

Post by AndyPen »

... and don't forget that for those of us in Wales the lockdown is much tighter, with five mile travel limit etc.

surfblue63

Post by surfblue63 »

These people are supposed to be experts. If they can't think of how to do an MoT safely they should not be in their jobs.

1. Customer drops car off.
2. Tester puts on full paper suit with hood, gloves and mask.
3. Tester wipes down steering wheel, handles and any other parts they need to touch
4. Tester fits cover to steering wheel and cover to seat
5. Tester carries out test
6. Tester removes covers and wipes down any parts touched
7. Tester completes paper work and goes for a cup of tea and a lie down.
8. Customer comes to collect car.

That's not that difficult is it, or am I missing something?

By the way, the tester I use has been doing tests all through the lock down.
Has any body seen a dog dyed dark green?

Old English White

Post by Old English White »

I agree. I took one of my cars for an MOT last week. Our local garage have been open for tests the whole time.

GraemeC

Post by GraemeC »

Most places have continued to test and that is part of the argument why the extension should be scrapped.

It is interesting that they are now citing the 'ability to conduct tests safely' as the reason for the extension. The extension was initially brought in so that all those people that actually adhered to lockdown, and more so the particularly vulnerable, didn't have to worry about their test lapsing and their car then no longer being taxed, or not being able to re-tax on line.

surfblue63

Post by surfblue63 »

Also a lot of the big dealerships will actually come and pick your car up, so the vulnerable do not need to even venture out to get their car tested. As expected there are going to be a lot of excuse makers (lazy) trying to get out of actually earning their money and relying on free hand outs for as long as possible.
Has any body seen a dog dyed dark green?

Costafortune

Post by Costafortune »

It's all bollocks.

I took two cars for an MOT 2 weeks ago. Had a ciggy with the tester, chewed the fat, tested both cars and I'm still here. :roll: :lol:

I COULD have had MOT extensions, just like I could have sponged 10 grand for Coviod loss of earnings but you know what? The economy is f*ck*d and it needs a bit of money pumping into it and less taken out by pissakers. Rant over.

kit of bits

Post by kit of bits »

I’ve just checked my mpi as the mot is about to expire and it’s now showing as Dec 20 I’ll have it tested now anyway.
My wife’s Audi didn’t show as extended at the end of may so I’ve had that tested.. it’s worth double checking to make sure your included in the extension..
D

Polarsilver

Post by Polarsilver »

Being an Old Git ,, i am locked down so i appreciate this MOT extension .. probably the only thing that i have been given over this period .. Take Care this Virus is still out there & it is Dangerous to all (unless you know better ) ;)

Supersonic

Post by Supersonic »

Over here in Northern Ireland the MOT system is run by a Government Department. These employees are now out on the UK Civil Service Furlough Scheme. I was speaking to an MOT Tester on Saturday who told me he was down £60 a week and it costs him per week £40 to travel to work and about £20 for lunch money. He told me he has Furlough Sickness and hopes he gets another 4 months out of this great scheme. :?

Alan