Identifying parts

General Chat with an emphasis on BMC Minis & Other iconic cars of the 1960's. Includes information on MK1 Action days.
Louis

Re: Identifying parts

Post by Louis »

Thank you both for your responses, having not dismantled the mini myself is making all these bits more of a challenge.

I found some "ears" for the heater unit and had no idea what they were until I saw a restoration video and then the penny dropped so that was a nice result, I'm planning to restore that unit and keep that.

So were all pre-1976 (approx) the smaller size pedal and then the larger type?

Thanks again,

Louis

mab01uk

Post by mab01uk »

BMC MK1 Morris Mini Minor grille Grill -
"In chrome finish however there is lots of surface rust as shown in photos."
Sold for £111 + postage:-
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Classic-BMC- ... 7675.l2557

Louis

Post by Louis »

I bought a job lot on eBay of MK1 bits, not all is mini, can anyone recommend sites to identify parts or Facebook groups etc? I don't need a lot of the parts but don't want to just scrap them if they are hard to come by.

Andrew1967
Location: Usually in my garage on the east coast of Norfolk, UK

Post by Andrew1967 »

Try on here Louis, we aren’t just Mini fanatics ;)

Louis

Post by Louis »

The item next to the flasher unit is the unknown to me? Rheostat?

I believe this is from a Minx?

No idea but there are around 6!

There is a pile of these, hangers maybe?

The silver brackets at the bottom, some are branded Lucas? Some do seem to be opposites to one another.

Does anyone know what this is? I would have thought it was a type of gasket material as it is multi layer metals? I have never seen it before

This is a small Trico button, intrigued me. When you push the button it does not really do anything so I'm not sure if it is an inline valve or something?

Overriders I assume but no obvious markings?

I have no idea on this. There are no part numbers on it to search against really. It is a 4 speed with a reverse down to the left.

These are still sealed and I haven't the heart to open them. From a search online I cannot really find out what they are.

So many bulbs but all useless really, the electrical connectors interested me as I need to remake my loom, have they got a specific name or use? There is no makers name just a patent number which I will dig into more.

Thanks!

Andrew1967
Location: Usually in my garage on the east coast of Norfolk, UK

Post by Andrew1967 »

Louis,

The five way rubber connectors in the centre of the picture are used on Mk1 indicator stalk to main loom - quite sought after as the rubber often perishes.
The black MOWOG stamped brackets in the 4th image look like Mini rear subframe front exhaust brackets.
The 6 rubber bits look like lamp or reflector mounts of some car.
The 'S' badge is off an 1800S Landcrab
The flasher unit with the spade connectors could be of interest to someone on here if the date is correct - it will have a date stamp on it.

A lot go these parts a Lucas by the looks .. if you look for a number on them (even the rubber parts will have a part number moulded into them) and then Google the number, you'd be surprised what is on there.

Will have another look on my off days during the week

Andrew

Louis

Post by Louis »

Thanks Andrew, most of the lenses are like that, i.e. the L number gives it away but some seem to be quite generic, and not being NOS or a pair I imagine generally not worth trying to hunt down a buyer. I gave up looking up for the patent number for the bottom right multi connector as I was on my phone so will research more in the week.

Yes sorry the flasher is dated 68, it was a bad photo for the switch next to it and for scale for the two BMC boxes. I'll try to get a better photo tomorrow!

Unhelpfully it's a full mix of manufacturers, there's some FoMoCo parts (not pictured), lots of the bulbs are Bedford/Vauxhall, obviously BMC as well etc.