Identifying parts

General Chat with an emphasis on BMC Minis & Other iconic cars of the 1960's. Includes information on MK1 Action days.
Louis

Identifying parts

Post by Louis »

Good afternoon all,

Apologies if this is not the place or the way to do this, please let me know if so.

I am clearing through some sheds full of car bits and have been taking out anything "old" to set aside for my van, however there are some bits that I do not know what they are or if there is any need for any bits before they get used / binned / boxed up and stashed somewhere. It is not all mini, but there has been several minis in the family ranging from a 1959 up to the injection era. The grille, does anyone know exactly what it is called? I'm trying to picture it for the van but being able to search for the correct name may help.

If you recognise anything can you please let me know what it is and if it is worth keeping etc? I do not have a large amount of space so don't wish to store stuff that is of little use.

I have found many Mk1 / van rear light units, are these all identical or are some harder to come by? Also the same question for the sliding window black plastic clips and sealed beam headlights as I have many of these too! Annoyingly only 2 chrome window sliders so far.

Thank you

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

surfblue63

Re: Identifying parts

Post by surfblue63 »

The grille is Mk1 Morris Mini Minor.

The AEG573 is a Cooper S manifold that has been modified to take HS4 carbs.

The Mitcham Motors one is junk. Known as a dog bone, and best given to the dog to bury.

Headlamp bucket looks like 1990s Mini

Stick the Raydot lamps on Ebay. They are popular with scooterists.

Seat belts have some value if the hardware is OK.

There's probably some stuff to salvage from that harness, and is that fuse box dated 1966?
I drive a Rolls Royce
'cause it`s good for my voice

Louis

Post by Louis »

Thanks for the feedback, exactly what I had hoped for.

The harness has 66 as the last 2 digits, I would assume that means 1966?

Would you say the sun visors are definetly not mini? They have a double chrome bracket so don't look right but the material looks similar to the brocade on the seats, I guess probably just a common fabric style of that era.

AndyPen

Post by AndyPen »

Chrome on the ends of the sun visors suggests mid to late 60s to me, maybe even off the 66 car?

Nice Grille, they weren't fitted to vans though - unless by an enthusiast who wanted to get past the normal stamped out one ;-)

woodypup59

Post by woodypup59 »

As said, the grill is for a std Morris mini mk1. I suspect yours has been painted dull silver ??

These are difficult to find In good condition, and aren't reproduced as they are difficult to make & chrome.

Can you take some closer pictures from "above" showing the state of the slats as you would see them if the grill was on a car.

You didn't really ought to fit it to your van, the original pressed front panel would be my choice.

Hipwell

Post by Hipwell »

AndyPen wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:04 pm
Chrome on the ends of the sun visors suggests mid to late 60s to me, maybe even off the 66 car?
This, cream crackle 66 sun visors.

Louis

Post by Louis »

Thanks all for the replies. It is chrome which someone has painted silver over the top of, glad I saved it from the scrap now! I have a decent plating company near me so when they reopen I may take it in and see what they say, it looks like I'll have to get the handles etc redone anyway.

Whilst I agree with the pressed grill sentiment, a later front has been fitted to it without the grill and I don't really want to take it off to fit the correct front to it.

Is there any demand for the AEG573 or would the modifications have ruined it?

I will have to see how the visors clean up, they are pink on one side and white on the other but where they have been sitting it looks like some colour has leached to the other one.

Thanks again, I'll most likely have some more photos to upload later.

Louis

Post by Louis »

Afternoon all,

I have some more bits that I have dug out and had a few questions in particular (as well as the standard what is it?):

Both the handles are the locking type, why are they different sizes?
Is there any way to date the heater unit and is there any demand for them?
What is the small accelerator pedal from? I have two of the larger and have not seen one this small before.
I think that is a floor start, but the other 3 I am unsure of, is one something to do with the lights?

Any information is much appreciated!

Thanks again,

Louis

Image Image Image Image Image Image

surfblue63

Post by surfblue63 »

Both the handles are the locking type, why are they different sizes?
Shorter handle is from early Mini pre-1966, longer was introduced with the safety boss on the door.

Is there any way to date the heater unit and is there any demand for them?
There should be a date on the motor, and there is a demand for those type of heaters. They were used in vans and pickups as well as early Minis that did not have the fresh air type.

What is the small accelerator pedal from? I have two of the larger and have not seen one this small before.
Morris Minor or Austin A30?

I think that is a floor start, but the other 3 I am unsure of, is one something to do with the lights?
Yes they are for lights, those are floor mount high/low beam switches

You switch panels from top to bottom are:
mid to late 1970s van and pickup
Mk1 Mini. If the ignition switch is the starter type then it will be from a Cooper
Later Mk3 when the ignition moved to the column
I drive a Rolls Royce
'cause it`s good for my voice

jayare

Post by jayare »

Top-left photo you have the battery tray, ignition shield for behind the grille and the rear wiring loom protective cover that fits along the left side of the load bay on the van.

The throttle pedals all look like Mini ones - small pad is early and larger pad is later. The pad changed at the same time as the brake & clutch pedal went from square to 6-sided - possibly 1976.

BTW the PM I sent you with my location is still in my outbox,

JR