Spot the similarities

General Chat with an emphasis on BMC Minis & Other iconic cars of the 1960's. Includes information on MK1 Action days.
66Traveller

Re: Spot the similarities

Post by 66Traveller »

Indeed.

What ever happened to that cartoon ringing bell gif...?

Old English White

Post by Old English White »

I see that a sex change (from Austin to Morris) has taken place. It would be interesting to look inside the bonnet and bootlids wouldn't it and see if the signs of previous holes are present.
The current 970 car has not been taxed since 1988(!) and surprise surprise the latest V5 was issued a year or so ago.
I couldn't see the chassis plate in the photos to see if that looked old or new.
I thought the bootlid looked a bit "Heritage" doesn't it? On "both" cars.

steve1071

Post by steve1071 »

I do recall the Cooper 'project' on ebay with the blasted shell. The shell only had been on ebay a few weeks previously, from the South West I think.

:x

Supersonic

Post by Supersonic »

It is commendable to see knowledgeable enthusiasts flagging up cloned rare model cars which are on the market trying to deceive people. I support this action but honestly believe the DVLA don’t give a cobblers. When you see blatant fakes paraded as the real original cars in reality the owners have a barefaced cheek claiming their obvious fakes are the real deal.

Only recently if you recall the Princess Margaret Mini Cooper S registration mark 999 FYL was claimed to be restored. That car had not been restored because the car originally belonging to Princess Margaret didn’t exist to be restored. Everybody knows that and who cares seems the outcome.

Much of the blame for re-issuing registration numbers on little or very dubious evidence must be laid at the door of the DVLA. Does anyone believe for one moment that the DVLA cares a jot?

I don’t :(

Alan

CMC

Post by CMC »

I noticed the mileage of both is comparable. So, is the 'new' reg applied to the old car, including the changes (make, roof color, seat belts, air filter, gauges etc.) to be able to sell for more, and use the 'old' reg to sell a non Cooper shell for Cooper money??

Who pays £35k for a badly presented (dusty) & rusty car with dubious history? I wouldn't...

Costafortune

Post by Costafortune »

A 970S had a value in 1988 - I wouldn't be surprised if the original was exported and the V5 retained.

mab01uk

Post by mab01uk »

I'm assuming the '970S' still has the 1071S engine? As the engine is a large part of the rarity value of a 970S, I wonder how many buyers ever check the actual cc before or after buying?

Costafortune

Post by Costafortune »

So who's going to email the auctioneers? ;) :lol:

I don't have a problem with logbook rebuilds if you're actually creating something, but this is blatant ringing.

IAIN

Post by IAIN »

As the shell used is an early one it will probably still its original chassis number stamped on the bulkhead angled brace.

Costafortune.... I agree with you ........You can bring this point up with the Auction when you email them . ;) :D

iain1967s

Post by iain1967s »

There is of course the possibility that whoever purchased the car on its EBW 177B age-related plate did the research on the chassis number, found that the original reg would have been AHY 990B, then went the V765 route via DVLA to reclaim the original plate. But that wouldn’t explain how EBW 177B could then be sold on with another shell... :roll: