High Quality Mini Parts Direct from Japan

General Chat with an emphasis on BMC Minis & Other iconic cars of the 1960's. Includes information on MK1 Action days.
mab01uk

High Quality Mini Parts Direct from Japan

Post by mab01uk »

Some interesting Japanese Mini parts here, including Maintenance free ball joint kits and BMC Rubber Floor Mats.....
http://classicminisjapan.com/

Maintenance Free Ball Joints
"Developed and tested over a period of three years, the original concept was to manufacture a high quality product - similar to those used on modern vehicles, that doesn't require periodic adjustments of the shim. As the ball joints are pre-loaded, simply attach and tighten to the correct torque. Other than for exceptional circumstances, does not require additional grease-up once fitted. Includes a single lock tab. Developed and made in Japan."
http://classicminisjapan.com/new-parts/ ... joint-kit/

BMC Rubber Floor Mats
"Light weight and durable, these high quality reversible floor mats fit snugly into the footwell of - saloon Minis, Vans and/or Pick-ups. Made from PVC and part of the Valtain family brand. Developed and made in Japan."
http://classicminisjapan.com/new-parts/ ... loor-mats/

kit of bits

Re: High Quality Mini Parts Direct from Japan

Post by kit of bits »

The engine on the home page with the split webers looks like a nice bit of kit, but! I couldn’t live with those hose clips..😂
D

iain1967s

Post by iain1967s »

I ordered a pair of engine mounts from David on Wednesday, and they arrived today! Tokyo is half a planet away from me in Boston...

Proper quality they look too, hopefully better than the made in China (rubber falls apart after a year) or made in India (so firm, they may as well be solid mounts) that others are selling.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

surfblue63
Location: Exiled Shandy Drinking Southerner Living Oop North!

Post by surfblue63 »

It's like what my painter friend Donald said to me
"Stick a fork in their ass and turn them over, they're done"

iain1967s

Post by iain1967s »

I chatted with David about the baulk rings. Apparently they are available milled with with two different depths of the friction grooves. Shallower to go with new gear sets, and deeper to go with old gear sets where the friction coating is worn down, usually 3rd and 4th.

“It was found that - in rare circumstances, additional wear was found on the 3rd and 4th gear synchro's and so as a precaution, my supplier recommends combining the two for longevity. When I speak to him next, it may be I go for 1/2 of the normal HQ synchro, and 3/4 for the more refined type.”

IntMilkBrilliant

Post by IntMilkBrilliant »

Image of the ball joints fitted...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Alex

Post by Alex »

How did you torque them up accurately ?

I'm sat here staring at mine, and thinking that after being bent over for them (plus import & VAT) I'm going to have to get a crowsfoot spanner to install them...

Lakeland997

Post by Lakeland997 »

surfblue63 wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 1:07 am
They also do baulk rings.

http://classicminisjapan.com/new-parts/baulk-rings/
I see Minisport are now selling the baulk rings that, up to now, have only been available ‘under the counter’ or certainly to us Minisport Cup competitors anyway.

https://www.minisport.com/22g2033-compe ... -ring.html

Yes, I know it’s Minisport but these are made by Quaife.
Similar price to the Japanese ones.

I must be hard on my gearboxes in the rally car, so much so that I’ve smashed Minispares competition ones into pieces.
My two concerns with them are that the oil grooves are cut too deep so they are weaker and also the ring and ear edges are left very sharp. Compare that with the Quaife ones below.

These Quaife ones have so far stood up well but I’ve not been able to get out as much as I’d planned this year!
2DDAAD30-2640-46DA-BF71-2615426FD932.jpeg
FD24B7F1-6827-4950-877C-09CE1DF2815D.jpeg
I’m giving up asking rhetorical questions. What’s the point?

GraemeC

Post by GraemeC »

At least they’ve dropped the price and now only make one eye water 😆

Spider

Post by Spider »

As well as the Maintenance Free Ball Joints, also from Japan, they have available 'Traditional' Ball Joints, which appear at least equal to or better quality than the Originals that were made by TRW for BMC and Leyland, they are streets ahead of any joint I've looked at in recent years from the UK. Quite hard, ground finish - perfect. Off hand, they were about 2/3s the price of the Maintenance Free joints. I think I have some photos somewhere.
GraemeC wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:05 pm
At least they’ve dropped the price and now only make one eye water 😆
:lol: :lol: