WD40

General Chat with an emphasis on BMC Minis & Other iconic cars of the 1960's. Includes information on MK1 Action days.
Oneball

WD40

Post by Oneball »

I had a couple of cylinder heads machined 4 week’s ago, I doused them in WD40, wrapped them in paper and put them on a shelf in the garage. I just came to start the engine build and they’ve gone rusty. Anyone else found WD40 doesn’t work anymore?

kit of bits

Re: WD40

Post by kit of bits »

Yes, it seems to be dryer sounds strange I know..I’m mixing it with a bit of oil to remove rusty stuff.
Tcut seems different as well seems watery, I’ve found some nos and it’s fantastic..
Just to top it off I’ve bought paint stripper that won’t strip paint!
D

Costafortune

Post by Costafortune »

I'm not sure what WD40 is actually useful for now tbh. Certainly not for undoing rusty bolts.

Oneball

Post by Oneball »

I had some of that paint stripper too!

I’m gutted cause I’m now going to have to clean the rust of the freshly machined face.

wantafaster1

Post by wantafaster1 »

I use acf50 but it's bloody dear

Oneball

Post by Oneball »

wantafaster1 wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:20 pm
I use acf50 but it's bloody dear
That’s what I’ve just thrown at them.

mk1
Site Admin

Post by mk1 »

I have never found WD40 to be any good as an anti rust coating. It always runs off & leaves the surfaces vulnerable. I still reckon it works OK otherwise though.

Paint stripper from B&Q type places it total shite though. You can still get the proper stuff on the interweb, I find this excellent. You have to swear on the bible that you are a bona fide professional user though.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PARAMOSE-PAI ... XQ3kRQ7Tys
Mark F
Forum founder, backer & only admin for nearly 20 years.
I Must be f*&%^g mad

LuisM

Post by LuisM »

This is a very good product to prevent rusting on machined steel, it leaves a thin layer of wax with anti rust properties.
Not so easy to get here, but really good. Weicon article reference is: 11550400 .

Cheers
Luis
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

GraemeC

Post by GraemeC »

I guess this is very similar:
https://www.frost.co.uk/dinitrol-corroh ... gIFqfD_BwE

I use this quite a lot. Its good on nuts bolts are anything else exposed that you don't want to start looking manky - its a thin enough coating that you can't really tell they're coated.