Formula 1 teams are to help in supply of ventilators

General Chat with an emphasis on BMC Minis & Other iconic cars of the 1960's. Includes information on MK1 Action days.
mab01uk

Formula 1 teams are to help in supply of ventilators

Post by mab01uk »

Formula 1 teams are working with government and health authorities to increase the supply of ventilators during the coronavirus crisis.
Ventilators are a device used to help supply more air to patients with breathing difficulties, one of the effects of severe coronavirus symptoms.
The majority of F1 teams are aiming to work out ways to use their engineering facilities to boost production.
F1 said the aim was to "provide as much help and assistance as we can".
A spokesman said: "The F1 community is engaged in discussions with all the relevant stakeholders regarding this issue and we will provide further details in due course."
number of teams have applied-technologies divisions that could directly feed into the national production capacity of ventilators in the UK and Italy, particularly McLaren, Red Bull, Williams, Mercedes and Ferrari.
But all teams have advanced manufacturing capability that could potentially be used to make complex devices such as this, and as many will help as can.
The idea is to increase the supply of the existing design of ventilators rather than try to come up with a new approach.
The UK is estimated to need an extra 20,000 ventilators to deal with the crisis as it develops over the coming months.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/51963897

mk1
Site Admin

Re: Formula 1 teams are to help in supply of ventilators

Post by mk1 »

Wouldn't want to be in one that was built by Lotus! Just as you start to get better, it'll fall to pieces :lol:
Mark F
Forum founder, backer & only admin for nearly 20 years.
I Must be f*&%^g mad

locrep

Post by locrep »

You would need to be careful with the Ferrari ventilators, they may put too much air through the system unknowingly ;)

mk1
Site Admin

Post by mk1 »

On a similar note, Rolls Royce are also switching over to making ventilators.

Anyone fancy one with walnut door cappings, Wilton carpet & a full leather interior.
Mark F
I Must be f*&%^g mad

Polarsilver

Post by Polarsilver »

Most Certain F1 Engineering can build Ventilators .. they could probably update / improve the basic design of the current Ventilator .. F1 are due to shut down their UK Factorys for 3 weeks.. so they had better notify their Engineers with the change of working day plans.

mk1
Site Admin

Post by mk1 »

To be serious for a moment, something I rarely like to do.

The F1 teams are the perfect candidates to switch their facilities to making these high tech life savers. They are used to very fast prototyping & turnaround of highly complex machinery. Switching to the sub contract assembly of licenced designs of respirator would be a walk in the park.
Mark F
I Must be f*&%^g mad

mab01uk

Post by mab01uk »

Article from 'The Engineer' magazine in link below, good to see many UK engineering & manufacturing companies seem up for this challenge in the 'Comments' section at the end of the article.
Government calls on manufacturers to help make NHS ventilators:-
https://www.theengineer.co.uk/uk-govern ... ators-nhs/

Just watching the Sky News headline film report from a hospital in Northern Italy today is a shocking wake up call on a warning of what may happen in the UK.

rich080487

Post by rich080487 »

As someone who has worked for a few of these companies, I don't think it would be as simple a transition as the public/media think.

I would love for it to be true, but I'll wait until I hear/see more...

Polarsilver

Post by Polarsilver »

As Mark says fast prototype is their normal everyday in the F1 Engineering business .. i suspect they are now reverse engineering what is now available to the NHS to see how they can help the supply .. bet some F1 designers will eventually want to develop a Carbon Body light in weight Respirator that can be easy carried around by Paramedics .. Hammer Time :D

agricola

Post by agricola »

Am I missing something isnt the need mass production not one or two offs...