I think we overcooked the handbrake!

General Chat with an emphasis on BMC Minis & Other iconic cars of the 1960's. Includes information on MK1 Action days.
AndyPen

I think we overcooked the handbrake!

Post by AndyPen »

Back in the day we used to reinforce the floor behind the handbrake with those plates off the front subframes of later cars. Stiffening it up gave greater leverage for hand brake turns. We actually cracked the tunnel on the 1071 behind the handbrake in the end!

One day the SDL 970 front handbrake mounting simply snapped off, and to this day is still held in place by a bodged in light holder that we bolted in 'temporarily'! The hole for the diamond type bulb holder was the perfect size ;-)

A reminder of that event, plus a realisation the holes we welded up had been for reinforcement (and should have been left alone), led me to check the 1071... and ouch, we have a crack to weld up!! Luckily Bryan Purves has recreated the reinforcement bracket too, so another little job to sort whilst social distancing ;-)

Didn't expect a handbrake to overcook, but I am sure any of you mini drivers of yesteryears recognise the issue?

handbrake-crack.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

mk1
Site Admin

Re: I think we overcooked the handbrake!

Post by mk1 »

That's a good heads up Andy. In my experience that area is somewhere that is rarely intact & can usually do with a bit of beefing up. I have had a couple of cars where the weld at the front, where it joins to the crossmember breaks. It always looks a bugger when it has been welded up after.
Mark F
Forum founder, backer & only admin for nearly 20 years.
I Must be f*&%^g mad

Polarsilver

Post by Polarsilver »

Also worth looking to see if the floor Cross Member is also distorted from a big yump.. remember the works put in a double cross member.. a second one welded over the standard floor crossmember so it was not easy seen by the authorities. ;)

1071bob

Post by 1071bob »

This was a common problem with all minis back in the 70's, the weld to the crossmember would crack and then the spotwelds to the tunnel would fail soon afterwards.
I 'double skinned' mine so I have two flanges to the tunnel.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

AndyPen

Post by AndyPen »

That car of yours certainly is going to be something special Bob!! On this car the spot welds didn't fail, but the metal behind the bracket fatigued and split, hence the rough and ready use of of the front subframe brackets - which I've kept as a part of the car's history.

It was only when I saw this reinforcement on Bryan's website that I realised what the other holes below the front of the bracket had been there for... grrrrr.
HANDBRAKE SUPPORT.jpg

Exminiman

Post by Exminiman »

1071bob wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 5:30 pm
This was a common problem with all minis back in the 70's, the weld to the crossmember would crack and then the spotwelds to the tunnel would fail soon afterwards.
I 'double skinned' mine so I have two flanges to the tunnel.
“ Top Tip” that, will remember that one ;)

GraemeC

Post by GraemeC »

That's a nice reinforcement bracket Andy - got a link?

AndyPen

Post by AndyPen »

Here you go. As far as I can see it matches the ones originally on our cars, or so close I can't recall a difference ;-)

http://www.bryanpurves.co.uk/mini-page-two/4582143187

Scroll down about 10 items ;-)

Charlynsane

Post by Charlynsane »

AndyPen wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 12:32 am
That car of yours certainly is going to be something special Bob!! On this car the spot welds didn't fail, but the metal behind the bracket fatigued and split, hence the rough and ready use of of the front subframe brackets - which I've kept as a part of the car's history.

It was only when I saw this reinforcement on Bryan's website that I realised what the other holes below the front of the bracket had been there for... grrrrr.

HANDBRAKE SUPPORT.jpg
Do you need to drill any holes? or it's plug &play??

AndyPen

Post by AndyPen »

Yes you need to drill two holes in the tunnel - the ones we welded up I guess !!!