mk1-forum.net

A friendly international forum for people interested in the tuning & modification of classic BMC vehicles
It is currently Fri Feb 21, 2020 2:26 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 115 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next
PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 4:53 pm 

Sure you`ve heard Boris had announced that new Petrol, Diesel and Hybrids will not be allowed to be sold in UK in 15 years :cry:

Cant help this mean in reality manufacturer will move to electric 5 years ahead of this date.......manufacturing lead times, factory set up etc.....

Just wonder how this will effect supply of petrol etc.....

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 4:58 pm 

Exminiman wrote:
Sure you`ve heard Boris had announced that new Petrol, Diesel and Hybrids will not be allowed to be sold in UK in 15 years :cry:

Cant help this mean in reality manufacturer will move to electric 5 years ahead of this date.......manufacturing lead times, factory set up etc.....

Just wonder how this will effect supply of petrol etc.....
...it will never happen in 100 years !!!...no E car is affordable to the masses...yet !!!...politicians eh ??..not of the real world.... foxy52

Last edited by foxy52 on Tue Feb 04, 2020 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 5:07 pm 
Site Admin

Location: Unquestioning tool of the much misunderstood Mysterons.
Hum We will see.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 5:54 pm 

Just think of all those flat battery cars in the slow lane of the smart motorways ..... miles from a charge point :roll:

Can anyone seriously believe that we will have the infrastructure in place to facilitate this ??!!!

All the time petrol and diesel is available you can shove your electric cars as far as ......

Meanwhile back on planet Earth .....

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 6:03 pm 

Andrew1967 wrote:
Just think of all those flat battery cars in the slow lane of the smart motorways ..... miles from a charge point :roll:

Can anyone seriously believe that we will have the infrastructure in place to facilitate this ??!!!

All the time petrol and diesel is available you can shove your electric cars as far as ......

Meanwhile back on planet Earth .....

Last time I checked there are at least 35 million vehicles on the roads in this country... private cars, commercial vehicles, buses, taxis motorbikes etc... it's going to take a gargantuan effort to provide enough charging infrastructure for a similar amount of electric vehicles.

1968 Mk2 Morris Cooper S

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 6:32 pm 

My first vehicle was pedal powered. By 2035 my last vehicle may be electrically powered but I suspect it will be a mobility scooter. Younger people are already preparing themselves for 2035 by donning lycra and getting fit. Wasn't it Moulton who created a fold up bike. Just right should the battery fail on a motorway and the brake and hazard lights don't work.
I think i'll enrol for a Meldrew training course soon. :lol:
During my career I was trained to "set targets which were achievable." But that was many years ago! What do us oldies know?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 6:45 pm 

There won't be no need for charging infrastructure in the way people think . This will absolutely happen . I have a mate who is very high up at dunton reasearch centre who has been working on self charging . So basically it will work like this : There will be two banks of battery's in a car and let's say the car has a 250 mile range . The car will run on one bank of battterys and before that bank of battery's has gone flat the charging system will have the ability to fully charge the other bank of battterys . A safe battery pack wth a acceptable lifespan and electro magnification amongst the problems . Sitting in a small power station may not be the best thing for health ... ken

1962 Morris mini super 850
Porsche 997 turbo S
Ford transit van 280s

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 6:49 pm 

Boris Johnson will be an unpleasant memory in 15 years time.

Ignore the fool.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 7:02 pm 

swifty wrote:
There won't be no need for charging infrastructure in the way people think . This will absolutely happen . I have a mate who is very high up at dunton reasearch centre who has been working on self charging . So basically it will work like this : There will be two banks of battery's in a car and let's say the car has a 250 mile range . The car will run on one bank of battterys and before that bank of battery's has gone flat the charging system will have the ability to fully charge the other bank of battterys . A safe battery pack wth a acceptable lifespan and electro magnification amongst the problems . Sitting in a small power station may not be the best thing for health ... ken

Sounds like a perpetual motion machine to me.

D

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 7:39 pm 

Well, that all sound fine, but more of a "DREAM". What about existing car owners? They will go for another 10 years, unless the goverment demands scrappage, but there again, another "DREAM"

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 115 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next