[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4668: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4670: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4671: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4672: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
mk1-forum.net • View topic - What did you do to your first Mini

mk1-forum.net

A friendly international forum for people interested in the tuning & modification of classic BMC vehicles
It is currently Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:11 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:47 am 

I kept it for 50 years .. ok so it was not always on the road and it is like "ALL" the other UK based Minis of its time & age it is a Triggers Broom.. however it got a very nice comment from Mr Parnell when we were at the last Spring AutoJumble .. I appreciated his comments because it is a lovely car.
Last trip out was to the Revival & the advert for sale will come out in the next MCR Magazine.
Reason for sale i just do not use this 997 Cooper.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:53 am 

Mid-70s, a purchase whilst still at University from a colleague at my summer vacation job. A Hooper modified 1071 S now owned (and restored beautifully) by Brian Harding. Full write up in the July 2018 edition of Mini World.

Peter

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:03 pm 

I started my driving on Volkswagens and did not get my first Mini until 1985, A brand new Mini Ritz from Dutton Forshaw in Tonbridge. It had a new fangled C reg plate. I fitted a Rookie dash, a clock in the dash, a stereo cassette and pod speakers on the rear shelf. I drove it for 8 months and 12,000 miles and then traded it for a crusty 1972 MGB Roadster. Only other notable thing that happened to was a rear wheel bearing failed on a trip to Crystal Palace, luckily Austin Rovers came with 12 months AA Relay cover back then so the car went straight back to Dutton Forshaws' and a new bearing was fitted under warranty.
My next was a £120 Wolseley Hornet that was brought to teach a girl friend to drive. Once she passed her test it was disposed of and replaced by a VW Beetle. I didn't buy a Mini for another 20 years. In the last 13 years I have 9 more.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:14 pm 

1968 Mk2 Morris Cooper S

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:32 pm 

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 3:51 pm 

Mine was a blue 1980 Mini 1000 that I bought in 1989. It was very clean with only 33,000 miles on it, with the brown stripy interior.

The first thing I did was change the steering wheel for a smaller Astrali wheel.

Later, the wheels were changed for a set of Rostyles and later again a set of Mambas.

It went on fire one night, there was some problem with the wiring loom for the front lights shorting out.
Luckily, the damage was just to the loom, so myself and my Dad replaced with one from a scrapyard.

Three years later, with about 67,000 miles on it, I passed it on to my Mother, when I bought a 1275GT.

After that, two younger brothers learned to drive in it.

It still lives on in the family, but hasn't had much use in recent years.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 5:26 pm 

Wow, you guys are so young ! My first was a speedwell blue 1961 850, 4223 WA. It gave me the steepest learning curve of my life. The gearbox started to jump out of second so together with a mate and a Haynes, we pulled the E&B on my drive and set about stripping engine from box. I bought new baulk rings and forks from Kennings, our main agent. I think they cost more than a week's wages. I was a struggling University technician at the time. My commute was 10 miles each way and I was obliged to use the bus for a week. A few weeks after I got it back on the road, the rear subframe collapsed. Before I had the dosh for a new one, I was told about a dumped mini close to where I worked. The car in question had no engine, interior or glass but had a very useable subframe. So armed with a few tools I set of with a mate to liberate it. Speed was of the essence as we were in a non too salubrious area and in our haste to remove it we sawed through both rear shock absorber lower mountings. In other words, the stub axles. This made the later swap a bit more involved.
More later.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 6:09 pm 

Mine was a '71 850 bought in 1986 just after passing my test. It was fitted with a mk 2 S grill, reverse rims and 165 'slippy' springfields, spax shockers, 1098 motor with 295 head, Vizard modified twin 1.25's and a light flywheel. It went very well and was quicker than several 1275 GT's and tuned Moggy Minor's in the area.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:31 pm 

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:50 pm 

This was my first....after owning for about a year. Smacked into a tree. 1977 MkIV CA spec

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next