mk1-forum.net

A friendly international forum for people interested in the tuning & modification of classic BMC vehicles
It is currently Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:50 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 4:26 pm 
Site Admin

Location: Unquestioning tool of the much misunderstood Mysterons.
OK, here's hoping this turns into a runner.

The question is this.

cast your mind back to the dim & distant past & tell us what your first Mini was & what you did to it.

Mine was a damask Red MK3 Mini 1000 that when I got it was absolutely bog standard & in lovely condition. Within a year or so, it was neither :)

It received a 13" Mountney wheel, a steering drop bracket, those seat raising things & a Madadash c/w an array of gauges in very short order, then I decided to "improve" the engine. A K&N Torque Tube went on & eventually a 940 head from a scrap yard & an LCB, which broke after about a fortnight. To finish the look it got a white roof, courtesy of a load of aerosol cans, a set of Gp2 Arches & GB wheels as Minilites were unobtainable back in the early 80's.

I thought it looked the Dogs B's.

Eventually I went on to hillclimb it quite successfully.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 5:03 pm 

I don't think I could remember them all !!!
One of my earliest at the tender age of twelve was a SDL MK2, NCO????, white with a red roof and bonnet.
It was a freebie from one of mum's work colleges.. I was told if I could get it started I could have it.
Put a condenser and a set of points in it and some fresh petrol and way we went.
My dad used it for work for a while and then passed it onto my brother. All the while is was having driving lessons in it, with L plates of course...
After sometime in went a 1275 from a neighbours ADO16, still with drums on the front, and the roof colour changed to a black vinyl one. In went a couple of Karobes bucket seat covers ordered from Mum's mail order catalogue a second hand PECO exhaust from the scrappie and a radio cassette player.
It was used for all sorts, tip runs, auto cross, twelve cars, fetching building supplies (you can shovel a lot of sand in the boot if you close it quick). It even did a couple of trips to France, still on the drum brakes.
Sadly it failed an MOT, and was dismissed to the scrap yard in the sky.

Many came and went after that but the ones I miss the most was the ex Southern Electricity Mini van VJT 858X, my maroon MK1 NAF426F and the written off, not by me, Jet Black E30CTA.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 5:31 pm 

73' Tabaco Yellow MK3 850 became (over a number of years when insurance and savings would allow) an Island Blue and White MK2 S replica with MK2 seats, MK2 boot lid, full S running gear, Minilites, and a solid block 1275 bored out to 1330 (ish) cc with a Slark head and twin inch and a half SU's, every day car for 10 year in all weathers, great little car :) , the shell was sold for restoration, it may live again one day.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 5:40 pm 

SDH 147R

Bought from Raffles in Carlisle (think the roughest estate you can imagine)
driven home with virtually no electrics as the muppet had disconnected most connections from the solenoid, and it had a massive bleb in one tyre.
Was black with white weller wheels, cobra buckets, with zebra pattern covers. :mrgreen: , big spotlights up the front.
Was a great car to learn on, and went up to 1380 (ex grasstracker engine) in short order, 45 weber on long manifold, no weber box, metro 4 pots (the old solid ones) . Finally went away to be a grasstracker, never to be seen again.

Attachment:
scan0009.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 5:53 pm 

My first Mini was also my first car, a '77 Mini 1000 in baked bean orange with a peeling black vinyl roof and horrible BL period trim inside and out. I bought it for £150 from the local Ford garage before I passed my test, hoping to get some practice in and pass first time, which I did thankfully, as soon as I got home though I took my girlfriend out for a spin and promptly reversed into a phone box in one of the local villages, driving away I also nudged an almost brand new Jag XJS! The Mini was the proverbial rot box but I absolutely loved it, the sense of freedom it gave me was wonderful. It already had a tiny leather rimmed steering wheel and a dropped steering columb, sheepskin seat covers, Innocenti side repeaters and an Innocenti oval centre dash with the thick trim round the edge, this was because it had been exported to Italy when new and been tweaked over there before it came back to the UK in '83, hence it was on a 'Y' plate when I bought it. I took off the awful BL plastic hub caps and replaced the black grille with a half decent 'shiny' one from a mate's Mk2, I borrowed a set of scruffy white Weller 5''x10''s and put them on for a while but had to give them back when my mate wanted to sell his 1275GT to buy an XR2. I put the steelies back on and bought a Rokee wooden dash to go in, I never got round to fitting it though as the poor little car died a death on the way home from a gig in Leicester, the oil leak I thought would be 'ok' caught up with me and that was the end of my first foray into Mini ownership. Lesson duly learnt! In truth, the entire front end and outer sills all needed replacing and I just couldn't afford to get it done properly so I scrapped it. In the few months I had it I think I put about 4k miles on it, despite being a nail it drove really well and made me smile no end... I wish I'd kept that Innocenti instrument pod though. Here it is the day I put the L plates on, I've still got the rear number plate in the garage...

Attachment:
RY MINI.jpg

Attachment:
1977 MINI 1000 baked bean.jpg

My second was a '79 Clubbie 1100 which went like stink...

Attachment:
1979 CLUBMAN 1100 HNH 38T.jpg

My third was a 1970 Mk2 Morris Mini 1000 in maroon, another rot box that was full of charm. I considered it to be my first 'proper' Mini as I'd always wanted a Mk1 or Mk2, I had plans to restore it but winced when I rang up Mini Machine and they said it would be at least £3k, which a lot of money at the time. It went to the local scrapper but I've still got the plates, badges and the original green log book for it.

1968 Mk2 Morris Cooper S

Last edited by WMU 211G on Tue Jan 21, 2020 5:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 5:55 pm 

4886 DN bought from a mate at work . It was white with black roof and very dark tinted Perspex windows , so dark you could hardly see out at night . Tinted Perspex was the cheaper version of the pop stars shadow light glass. Done the trick though , impressed the girl down the road so much she chased after me a for a date and ended up a relationship that lasted a year
It had a MG1100 engine and box and the standard final drive , went like stink but no top speed . Strange downdraft Weber from some Italian exotic that never worked properly . Negative camber front bottom arms but the track rod ends had run out of thread so it was run with many degrees of toe out.
Cosmic wheels and alloy cosmic arches and a fibreglass flip front .
One of my mates said he could tweak the jets to get it running better and a road test down the road ended badly when the flip front opened and I drove over it . So I fitted fibreglass front wings with a steel front panel and a Riley elf bonnet, this enabled me to fit a oil cooler in the nose of the bonnet up in the airflow.
On one trip the throttle cable broke so speeded up the tickover to about 2.5K and drove it down a motorway at a constant speed , it then stopped , the camshaft snapped in half . So engine out.
Had a friend that worked at University motors and a service exchange 998 4 synchro box crated up to return to BMC came my way , all that was wrong was a loose bolt on the selector rod . That sorted the gearing out, Fitted that and a 731 cam , fitted new track rods ends with nuts welded on to extend the thread so at last was able to track the car for the first time . The local breaker had a Austin Westminster with the reg XXL5 so put that on the car .
All this was 48 years ago and we done many things then that we didn’t do now . I towed a trailer with my friend crashed mini back from oop north , that wouldn’t go down well with motorway police today. Nor would the dark windows .
One rainy night the car came a cropper as one disadvantage with the dark tinted glass we when the sliding window was opened there was 2 pieces of tinted Perspex to peer through , well you couldn’t see out at all , coming off a roundabout I never saw the traffic Island and ripped the front suspension off . XXL5 RIP but the number lives on . Roy. Happy days

I know its not original I like it this way

My wife says I don’t listen to her or something like that !

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:11 pm 

Hi, I will be back on this very nice topic.

Kees

Collecting 60th wooden steeringwheels.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:30 pm 

No pics, but:

FLS577S was a 1977 Mini 998 van, last with the old Mark 1/2/3 steering wheel. I found it festering around the back of a Daihatsu garage in Chieveley near Newbury in August 1984. It had been towed in following a breakdown and I could buy it for 75 quid. Bargain for a seven year old Mini. It belonged to a painting and decorating contractors in Selkirk and had been painted Rover Mexico brown from the roof down. Was filthy and had a long dent along the side.
So we got it back and no, it wouldn't start - the starter just clicked. We took the head off and found that one piston wasn't where it should be in the bore - it had thrown a rod. So for £75, the engine and box from a written off 1979 Mini 1000 was fitted, very good it was too. Sadly the Van was pretty rusty - both sills, front inners, rear frame,brake pipes - absolutely f*cking everything that could be shagged on a Mini, was.
I fitted a black 1978 spec saloon grille and a later 'boomerang' steering wheel, painted the inside in silver hammerite and made carpet trims to fit inside the doors. The front seats from a scrapped 1300GT went in. Also trimmed the loading floor in carpet for assignations with the fairer sex. Can't say fairer than that.
I passed my test in May 1985 and drove it everywhere, usually flat out. It got very tatty in the end so I replaced the front end and painted the whole thing inside and out in BL Sandglow, mainly because I was given 2 litres of it free.

I sold it in late 1987. Well, I chopped it in for a 1977 Alfetta 2000GTV that I couldn't afford top insure, not that that stopped me driving it. FLS looked good but ain't on the road for much longer. My mum saw it on the M4 in 1988. It has changed hands in the 2000's though so perhaps it will live again. I had various shit cars before this - an Austin 1300, Marina Coupe, Sunbeam Rapier. But they were all non running junk. FLS577S was the first proper running driving car I had, had lots of laughs in it and my first accident when I bent a radius arm. The first car I drive on my own without an instructor. If Vans weren't such insane prices, I'd find one with a decent shell and build it exactly like it was in 85-87.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:34 pm 

WMU 211G wrote:
My first Mini was also my first car, a '77 Mini 1000 in baked bean orange with a peeling black vinyl roof and horrible BL period trim inside and out. I bought it for £150 from the local Ford garage before I passed my test, hoping to get some practice in and pass first time, which I did thankfully, as soon as I got home though I took my girlfriend out for a spin and promptly reversed into a phone box in one of the local villages, driving away I also nudged an almost brand new Jag XJS! The Mini was the proverbial rot box but I absolutely loved it, the sense of freedom it gave me was wonderful. It already had a tiny leather rimmed steering wheel and a dropped steering columb, sheepskin seat covers, Innocenti side repeaters and an Innocenti oval centre dash with the thick trim round the edge, this was because it had been exported to Italy when new and been tweaked over there before it came back to the UK in '83, hence it was on a 'Y' plate when I bought it. I took off the awful BL plastic hub caps and replaced the black grille with a half decent 'shiny' one from a mate's Mk2, I borrowed a set of scruffy white Weller 5''x10''s and put them on for a while but had to give them back when my mate wanted to sell his 1275GT to buy an XR2. I put the steelies back on and bought a Rokee wooden dash to go in, I never got round to fitting it though as the poor little car died a death on the way home from a gig in Leicester, the oil leak I thought would be 'ok' caught up with me and that was the end of my first foray into Mini ownership. Lesson duly learnt! In truth, the entire front end and outer sills all needed replacing and I just couldn't afford to get it done properly so I scrapped it. In the few months I had it I think I put about 4k miles on it, despite being a nail it drove really well and made me smile no end... I wish I'd kept that Innocenti instrument pod though. Here it is the day I put the L plates on, I've still got the rear number plate in the garage...

Attachment:
RY MINI.jpg

Attachment:
1977 MINI 1000 baked bean.jpg

My second was a '79 Clubbie 1100 which went like stink...

Attachment:
1979 CLUBMAN 1100 HNH 38T.jpg

My third was a 1970 Mk2 Morris Mini 1000 in maroon, another rot box that was full of charm. I considered it to be my first 'proper' Mini as I'd always wanted a Mk1 or Mk2, I had plans to restore it but winced when I rang up Mini Machine and they said it would be at least £3k, which a lot of money at the time. It went to the local scrapper but I've still got the plates, badges and the original green log book for it.

The red one could have been an 1100 Special, Belgian built at Senneffe from 1976 on. Those hub caps, black vinyl roof - I had one, GUR833Y. I think it had formica trim on the oval speedo cluster. The Belgian Minis were shocking for rot as well.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:12 pm 

Thanks for that - it was definitely a 1000cc when I had it, although it may have been a replacement lump. Funny thing is, the scrappy I sent it to was right next to the railway line I used a lot back then and it was at the top of the pile so I could still see it when I went past on the train! It was sat there for quite a while before they crushed it. I've occasionally thought about 'recreating' it since then using a Mk3 or Mk4, or building the Mini I always wanted it to be at the time, a sort of budget W&P with a plush interior and lots of Inno / Cooper touches. I was definitely going to keep the vinyl roof. One of the lads who worked at the garage I bought it from had an early Limeflower 1275GT that he'd customised in a very nice way, he kept it on 10'' wheels but put W&P arches on and resprayed it in Jaguar pearlescent silver blue and got his Dad to put a matching blue vinyl roof on it. There were loads of Minis like that round here once upon a time, all gone now.

1968 Mk2 Morris Cooper S