mk1-forum.net

A friendly international forum for people interested in the tuning & modification of classic BMC vehicles
It is currently Mon Feb 17, 2020 4:02 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:21 am 

Welcome to the forum and well done!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 5:14 am 

Hi Trog
Great work, one clever person you must be.
Excellent reading. Chapter 2 when your ready. I can never have too much to read.
Thanks for sharing
Glen

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:25 am 

Hi Trog, welcome to you and Arnie :D

Please feel free to “go on a bit” , think its actively encouraged in here :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:32 am 

Welcome to the Mk1 Forum Trog, it would be great if you could also post your updates and latest photos on the project here on the Mk1 forum (as well as on TMF), as I don't think your photos can be seen in the original thread by those who are not logged in/registered members of TMF?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:14 am 
Site Admin

Location: Unquestioning tool of the much misunderstood Mysterons.
Hi Trog,

Thank you for taking the time to join the MK1 forum, it is much appreciated.

What a cracking piece of work you have presented! There are few enough people who would be prepared to or have the skills to take on a job like that, far fewer who can see it through to the end, particularly as I gather you have had some serious non mini related issues to cope with too!

If you get a chance, I'd love to hear a bit more about your head & some of the decisions that you made during its design.

I think the idea of a separate thermostat housing is a great idea. It does on the face of it make the casting more straight forward.

Finally, I'd really like to know why you went with cast iron, it certainly makes for a very traditional looking, believable "original looking" part, but it must have presented you with a few more issues during the manufacture.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:44 am 

OK Happy to share my story on here.

To begin wit ha few images of the head as finished:

Attachment:
Front.jpg

Attachment:
Back.jpg

Attachment:
RH Side.jpg

Attachment:
LH Side.jpg

Attachment:
Assembled.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:59 am 

And now the Dry Build:

Attachment:
001.jpg

Attachment:
002.jpg

Attachment:
003.jpg

Attachment:
004.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Last edited by Trog on Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:03 pm 

Dry Build Inlet System:

Attachment:
004A.jpg

Attachment:
005.jpg

Attachment:
006.jpg

Attachment:
007.jpg

Attachment:
008.jpg

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:14 pm 

Chapter 1 “For why Keats? For Why?”

So, a little background which may help you understand decisions made later:

I got my first Mini in 1987 when I was 17! Wrote if off a year later and built a new one from a new Rover shell. So, I cut my teeth on Mini’s during the Mini renaissance of the late 80’s early 90’s seeing KAD and Jack Knight doing their funky stuff the ERA appears and the return of the Cooper I always dreamed of having an “exotic” cylinder head on my Min, but of course could never afford one…

Fast Forward 30 odd years to 2018 My mini has been off the road for 20 years (for a 6 month rebuild!) and due to major health issues (Blood cancer! Not curable but treatable) we are down sizing and I decide the Mini has to go… Friends, Family and Colleagues at work manage to persuade me not to, for which I am eternally grateful.

If I am keeping the Mini I am going to build it as I always dreamed of. So that meant a fancy cylinder head. An engine swap was out of the question as that’s not Mini enough! Likewise a twin cam was out (Too expensive!) and not Mini enough, plus I wanted something that fits and doesn’t look squeezed in. I am not bagging the twin cam conversions they are awesome, but the induction system is a very tight fit behind the slam panel. That left an Arden or a Weslake… Both very expensive and not a straight bolt on. The Arden also has the inlet issue as the ports are so low in the head and the Weslake which looked like it was going to be reproduced disappeared!

There was nothing out there that fitted the bill!!!

Perhaps now’s the time to say I am an Automotive Design Engineer! I have spent the last 25 years designing cars!!! For me there was another option: to make what I wanted! I did a lot of research, considered a lot of options, including:

Attachment:
bmcA_OHC[1].jpg
Attachment:
aseries2.jpg

I considered making a head with the exhaust forward (as did KAD with their original twin cam!) as it would give you lots of room for the induction system but I realized that the exhaust would not fit under or around the gearbox.

May months or research and evaluation and I came up with a design brief:

1) Had to fit under a standard round nose mini with no body modifications
2) Had to look “production” i.e. I wanted something that could have been designed by Rover; if they had had lots on money for the MPi and decided to go out with a bang!
3) Would be Iron! One of my more controversial decisions, there are many reasons for this choice over alloy, best summarized by saying it would be a lot more robust. Remember I am making this for myself so I don’t have the funds to do a huge amount of R&D, ideally I wanted the first head to be usable.
4) It would have down draft ports, both inlet and exhaust if possible.
5) It would use standard parts as much as possible, valves guides push rods etc..
6) Casting would have open ends and a remote thermostat housing. The open ends of the casting allow a very positive positioning of the water jacket core, allow inspection of the finished casting and without a thermostat housing the casting would be smaller and therefore offset the weight penalty for being Iron a bit. A separate thermostat housing would also allow more flexibility, including fitting it to the back of the head for a front radiator installment.
7) While I am only planning to make a couple for myself I wanted to keep the option for making more if people wanted them
8) Would be designed around fuel injection from the start, no consideration would be made for carbies at all! The injector bosses would be included in the head casting, as would knock sensors.
9) The head would be a traditional push rod design

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:27 pm 

Its amazing Trog. I'd love to see what process you used to get from your CAD to the cast part.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next