mk1-forum.net

A friendly international forum for people interested in the tuning & modification of classic BMC vehicles
It is currently Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:56 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 1:13 pm 
Site Admin

Location: Unquestioning tool of the much misunderstood Mysterons.
FRP Fibre reinforced plastic, also know as GRP, or fibre glass! (though technically it could include Carbon or Kevlar fibres...)

Cheers, I feel really thick now :)

I look forward to the next instalment.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 2:32 pm 

This is a Proper Job .. very impressive what is achievable with old school Engineering & using todays kit.
Just a thought if you need some more under bonnet room why not take out the later type Master Cyl / Servo set up and fit the original S Tin Tank Master Cylinder ( in my experiences with Min Brakes there is No need for a Servo ).
Please keep us up to date. :D

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:21 pm 

Trog wrote:
Exminiman wrote:
Just interested to know why; “I need to maintain a minimum wall thickness of 6 mm“
Was it based on original specs or calculations ?
Keep up the post going Trog, favinating stuff :D

A "genaral" rule for cast iron, allows for some core movement and still have enough gap left for the iron to flow through.

Makes a lot of sense, pretty non-negotiable, cheers

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:32 pm 

Polarsilver wrote:
This is a Proper Job .. very impressive what is achievable with old school Engineering & using todays kit.
Just a thought if you need some more under bonnet room why not take out the later type Master Cyl / Servo set up and fit the original S Tin Tank Master Cylinder ( in my experiences with Min Brakes there is No need for a Servo ).
Please keep us up to date. :D

Thanks

Change the brakes... But that would make things easier! But seriously I couldn't use an S master cylinder as I have to maintain duel circuit brakes but yes I could use a non servo duel circuit system but I haven't found any need to.

I like the engineering in the brake master cylinder... I can imagine the scenario:

Rover marketing: "Our Japanese customers want a brake servo, but it will never fit"
Rover Engineer "Hold my beer..."

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 1:10 am 

Just to add my 'impressive' to the list of compliments, and I agree about some the old school stuff. Jumping straight onto a computer means you do what the computer does well !!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 8:31 am 

Excellent work, I’d love an 8 port on my GT.
My auntie was a drafts lady at qualcast foundry in derby for all of her working life she wasn’t overly keen on computer design but had to learn and move with the times. When she retired at 60 she was called back in to draw things the computer and younger chaps couldn’t do..I’m going to show her this I bet at 81 she’s still very interested..
D

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 12:28 pm 

Trog wrote:
Chapter 3 "Rozzer is having a problem with his differential" Part 3

Enough I hear you cry, I will leave the chapter there!!!

Great work and some very impressive CAD models (I use Creo/Pro-Engineer)....don't hold back the more chapters to come the better!! :D

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 11:01 pm 

Just realized that I didn't put any images of the complete prototype build up:

Attachment:
Front.jpg

Attachment:
Front 2.jpg

Attachment:
RHS.jpg

Attachment:
LHS.jpg

Attachment:
Pipes.jpg

Yes the hood closes and clears everything. I spent a lot of time "James Herriot" style with my arms up through the grill measuring clearances using by carefully calibrated fingers! I am aiming at 15mm. clearance between body and engine. (third knuckle middle finger!) A bit tight but I think it will be OK.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:04 am 

It is reassuring to see that, despite the extreme engineering skills demonstrated, your workshop floor looks just like mine!

D

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 5:42 pm 

Very nice work, and a stunning achievement.

Can I ask a couple of daft questions?
Firstly, did you have an estimate of what hp you hoped this would make?
Secondly - and I will say, I know absolutely nothing about fuelling and intake systems, was your inlet design with the single throttle body to achieve the OEM look you spoke about?
What would happen if you stuck a set of throttle bodies on that head? (Remember,I know nothing :D )

Regards: Chris.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next