Who Wants To Tell Us About Their Original BMC / BL Cars

General Chat with an emphasis on BMC Minis & Other iconic cars of the 1960's. Includes information on MK1 Action days.
Supersonic

Who Wants To Tell Us About Their Original BMC / BL Cars

Post by Supersonic »

I'm happy to start the discussion because I've two BMC / BL original cars :D :D

Alan

miniminor

Re: Who Wants To Tell Us About Their Original BMC / BL Cars

Post by miniminor »

Need you to elaborate a bit?
Do you mean unrestored cars?
"Get the wheels in line, Get the wheels in line with it! ..... and then slam your brakes on or we'll be in the cabin ! "

1963 Morris Mini Minor Superdeluxe
2014 Freelander 2 SD4

Supersonic

Post by Supersonic »

miniminor wrote:Need you to elaborate a bit?
Do you mean unrestored cars?
I should have said factory original with little or no repairs done. My 1971 Vanden Plas 1300 Princess is one example:-

Supplied new in December 1971 by the Maybury Garage, Vanden Plas Dealers in Corstorphine Edinburgh and registered on 5th January 1972, XSC 805K was cherished by its lady owner Mrs Alice M Jones for the following 40 years. Finished in Moss Green with Parchment hide this car is still in very original condition. The Vanden Plas was the flagship model of the 1100 / 1300 range and were hand finished at Vanden Plas Works in Kingsbury North London. These cars were fitted with arm chair style seats picnic tables using the finest quality Connolly leather, burr walnut, West of England cloth and Wilton carpets they really went the extra mile to produce the best small saloon.

The history file for this car is comprehensive with the original factory Vanden Plas hand book and unique Vanden Plas Passport to Service Book duly stamped by the Maybury Garage with two sets of keys. During Mrs Jones’ 40 year ownership this Vanden Plas saw occasional gentle usage. When Mrs Jones’ son Dilwyn sold the 1300 Princess to me on 10th June 2011 it had covered a genuine 32,314 miles (Documented). It is such a joy to drive and to be honest it is much nicer to drive than any of my Mini Cooper Ss. :D :D

Alan

swifty

Post by swifty »

Sounds like a good topic to have on a ADO16 forum Alan . .... I'm sure they would be more than interested in your princess .... ken
1963 austin Cooper s mk1 1071
1966 Austin Cooper s mk1 1275
1968 Austin Cooper mk2 998
1962 Morris mini super 850
Porsche 997 turbo S
Ford transit van 280s

AndyPen

Post by AndyPen »

Thanks to a member on here I picked up this one family owned 66 SDL last year.

I love it to bits, but it needs a little more work than I thought... but basically one bit of welding on a sill and and some straightening on the boot area is all it has had done to it in just over 50K. It now needs work on the rack and a new head gasket amongst some body stuff.

I also have a 33K unmolested 64 SDL where the original paint is still on the inner floors and even the rear pocket bases, but sadly the seams are really looking poor in places.

Both have upper wing rot to sort too - but love the originality ;-)

We have some members on here with some very original cars that live in dryer climates - so come on folks ;-)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

miniminor

Post by miniminor »

Lovely to have an unrestored car especially one with lots of history, they are only original once and even the best restoration only attempts to match that.
The 66 above, Id say that paint work would respond well to a machine polish!
"Get the wheels in line, Get the wheels in line with it! ..... and then slam your brakes on or we'll be in the cabin ! "

1963 Morris Mini Minor Superdeluxe
2014 Freelander 2 SD4

Supersonic

Post by Supersonic »

Much appreciated all the replies above, have to agree with Andy that there has to be many factory original cars surviving in the dryer climates particularly in the Southern Hemisphere. I’ve a friend who is a long standing member of this Forum and he has a North American Austin Cooper S and an Australian 997 Morris Cooper and both are completely factor stock apart from period extras that were fitted back in the day. I’m sure there are many more examples in the British Isles surviving as they came out of the factory. Whatever the condition it is nice to see these original cars :D :D :D

Alan

mk1
Site Admin

Post by mk1 »

I have 2 cars that are basically original, both are very well known on here.

1) My 18,000 mile 850. Totally original apart from an early Downton Tuning Kit. Never been welded or painted. had less than 15,000 when I got it, but that was about 10 years ago now.

2) My Downton 1300 MK2. Another very original car, although it has been repainted in recent years it has had minimal work done on it over the years & is another very low mileage 28,000 odd miles from new.

Mark F
"I'm a very friendly Lion called Parsley".

Supersonic

Post by Supersonic »

Mark, I once tried to buy your Downton 1300 when it went up for sale. My Vanden Plas is also very interesting as it has an Oselli 1293cc Road / Economy Conversion.

The invoice from Oselli reads as following:-

Strip out customer’s engine unit, check all parts, measure tolerances and prepare for machining. Degrease clean all parts after machining. Rebuild engine checking all clearances, plateau hone cylinder to correct clearances. Balance crank, flywheel, clutch assembly, pistons and conrods. Remove / refit pistons to conrods. Lighten flywheel to Road spec. Supply exchange A266 camshaft and set followers. Modify cylinder head to Road spec and refit original valve gear. Assemble complete. Supply heavy duty B/E, Main, Thrust bearings, supply complete set of gaskets, seals, plugs. Match and polish inlet manifold and match carburettor needles to suit.

We have checked the engine over and found it to be 1293 cc but everything else was as per the above invoice. I decided to change the camshaft to an MED HT as the Kent 266 cam had not a smooth enough idle for a road car.

Photographs today of my grandson and the engine bay. Note the eleven stud cylinder head. It also has a close ratio gearbox as well. :D

Alan
DSC01212.JPG
DSC01213.JPG
DSC01214.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

mk1
Site Admin

Post by mk1 »

Alan,

Which time was that ? When Tim sold it or when Andy sold it?

For anyone who doesn't know the full tail, I found the car in about 2007, kept it for a couple of years & then sold it. It went through 2 lots of owners when I eventually bought it back again.

As found.
Mark F
"I'm a very friendly Lion called Parsley".