Shell painting - costs

General Chat with an emphasis on BMC Minis & Other iconic cars of the 1960's. Includes information on MK1 Action days.
Jono

Shell painting - costs

Post by Jono »

Just wanting to sense check, in general terms, what sort of cost range a good standard re paint on a bare Mk1 shell should be?

Assume a completely bare shell, all welding and panel work done - blasted and etch primed with work to be completed including filling, fettling welds, blocking, seam sealing stone chipping and painting in 2 pack then handing bare shell back to customer for building up.

Cheers

Jon

CooperTune

Re: Shell painting - costs

Post by CooperTune »

Not sure my being on this side of the pond will help you. I have been doing shells on a spit since 1990. After returning from military
service in spring of 1974 I met and began working with a one man shop for all my body and paint. We became close friends and
worked together on many projects. I'm so sorry he passed away five years ago and I had to start looking for other options. I'm
located mid Atlantic coast USA. Over the last several years I have contacted and or visited a lot of shops. It seems here and I
have traveled far north and south and it looks like what you are looking for five years back was $5500 US and now if they will even
look at the job prices range from $8000 to $10,000. Reading recently it seems show quality paint and body bare shell will be closer
to $20,000. I no longer offer the service, a customer has to arrange that himself. A recent job I picked up at shop several hundred
miles from my shop is a deep disappointment. The owner arranged and paid before I saw the job. The shop has promised to take care of the runs sags orange peel once I'm done with assembly. So glad I did not arrange the job. Steve (CTR)

mk1
Site Admin

Post by mk1 »

Realistically & depending on exactly how much work is involved you can rely on somewhere between £2,500 & £5,000
Mark F
"I'm a very friendly Lion called Parsley".

Jono

Post by Jono »

Great, thanks for the comments.

snoopy64

Post by snoopy64 »

If you’re south of Birmingham anyone any good will be charging £5k
Cheers

Kevin

Jono

Post by Jono »

Frozen north for me but that's about the ballpark I'm facing so good to know it's 'in the range' of normal

Rusty old S

Post by Rusty old S »

Midlands , £2.800 ish

Richspec

Post by Richspec »

I think i spent around 5 grand on blasting, various panel work, additional welding for the cage and seats and the full respray.

Showing its age in a few areas now after 5 years but it gets plenty of use so what can you expect! ain't no trailer queen ;)
Wanna see what I'm playing with? Youtube Channel
Caution ;) may contain 8 Ports, Xe's and VTec's, I don't do standard!

Highnumbers

Post by Highnumbers »

CooperTune wrote:Reading recently it seems show quality paint and body bare shell will be closer
to $20,000. I no longer offer the service, a customer has to arrange that himself. A recent job I picked up at shop several hundred
miles from my shop is a deep disappointment. The owner arranged and paid before I saw the job. The shop has promised to take care of the runs sags orange peel once I'm done with assembly. So glad I did not arrange the job. Steve (CTR)
The biggest variable is your location, followed by caliber of shop you take the car to.

A top quality restoration shop here in Southern California will charge you $20,000 or more - even bringing in a shell that is closer to paint-ready than what's described in this thread. So expensive.

In fact, it's so expensive here that I bought all the equipment to do paint/body and taught myself how to do it. Just finished the work and the car looks excellent. But it took me 10 months..

I have to question some of the quotes in this thread. 2,800 GBP? Paint and body is a LOT of work, and much of that work is after color is sprayed, colorsanding orange peel out etc, polishing up the final work. Either somebody isn't quoting out the work well enough, or they're paying themselves pennies.

Rolandino

Post by Rolandino »

Message deleted
Last edited by Rolandino on Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.