mk1-forum.net

A friendly international forum for people interested in the tuning & modification of classic BMC vehicles
It is currently Thu Dec 12, 2019 2:27 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:16 am 

"It seems that the BMC rarities are coming out of the woodwork at the moment, and going up for sale. Following on from the super-rare Beach Mini, which sold for £178,000 recently is this Austin Ant, which has surfaced on Gumtree Australia. It’s priced at $30,000AUD, which comes in at £15,570 at today’s exchange rates."
More on AROnline:-
https://www.aronline.co.uk/news/austin-ant-for-sale/

Gumtree Ad:-
https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/geelong ... line.co.uk

Austin Ant: Ant Hill Mob (Classic & Sports Car magazine - March 2007 issue)
https://www.classicandsportscar.com/new ... t-hill-mob

Last edited by mab01uk on Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:37 am 
Site Admin

A bargain for someone.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 1:00 am 

It's up to the buyer to weigh up, but over the past 2 - 3 years, there's been a few that have changed hands in the UK, all complete and all restored for between £6,000 and £15,000. I wish Craig luck with his sale.

<edit: I've just received an email from another Ant owner who bought on in slightly less condition than this one for less than £1000. While rare, they aren't particularly 'valuable' .>

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 11:54 am 
Site Admin

If I could buy one for a grand I'd scrap it, rob the 4wd system for something else & make all the others that bit rarer :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:57 am 

I was just sent this a few minutes ago

For those who don't know, Tony worked with the ' Previous elderly owner ' at Leyland and still has regular contact with him.

I was told Watto only paid 'around $9K' for it, but, there you go.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 9:48 am 

There are certainly a lot of people out there who like to put their two pennies in so here are mine.
I’ve certainly had my differences in opinion with Craig over the years on the basis of him mixing business with pleasure. I have always admired his commitment to presenting information and images of BMC products and the people associated with the marque.
However, in this case I feel that there are way too many people getting involved in a a series of transactions between two consenting adults.
I have always believed that item’s should be sold for what the seller is happy to receive and the buyer willing to pay. Offer and acceptance, the simple elements of a binding contract.
The whole idea of people asking others what an item is worth really gives me the irrits.
The other people are not involved and should but out.
If Craig can achieve a price that is three times what he paid he won’t be the first in the history of finance to do so. He knows and loves the subject matter and I suspect it is a real wrench to sell a car that he has always dreamed of owning and restoring.
I am glad that I have been fortunate to be in a position to buy mini parts and cars when I have deemed it appropriate be it on the basis of access or affordability. I am also fortunate to have been able to decide that I will not sell anything ( except in one case) until my interest in minis is at an end.
I might be in front on value now and behind in the future but I really do no care. I love the mini as I do many other things and that makes me happy.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 11:45 am 

mini129 wrote:
There are certainly a lot of people out there who like to put their two pennies in so here are mine.
I’ve certainly had my differences in opinion with Craig over the years on the basis of him mixing business with pleasure. I have always admired his commitment to presenting information and images of BMC products and the people associated with the marque.
However, in this case I feel that there are way too many people getting involved in a a series of transactions between two consenting adults.
I have always believed that item’s should be sold for what the seller is happy to receive and the buyer willing to pay. Offer and acceptance, the simple elements of a binding contract.
The whole idea of people asking others what an item is worth really gives me the irrits.
The other people are not involved and should but out.
If Craig can achieve a price that is three times what he paid he won’t be the first in the history of finance to do so. He knows and loves the subject matter and I suspect it is a real wrench to sell a car that he has always dreamed of owning and restoring.
I am glad that I have been fortunate to be in a position to buy mini parts and cars when I have deemed it appropriate be it on the basis of access or affordability. I am also fortunate to have been able to decide that I will not sell anything ( except in one case) until my interest in minis is at an end.
I might be in front on value now and behind in the future but I really do no care. I love the mini as I do many other things and that makes me happy.

There's a lot more to the situation than in that quoted post.