3D-Printed, Carbon Composite Connecting Rods

General Chat with an emphasis on BMC Minis & Other iconic cars of the 1960's. Includes information on MK1 Action days.
GeorgeA

3D-Printed, Carbon Composite Connecting Rods

Post by GeorgeA »

:shock: :shock: very impressive IF it works out.
"engineering for its Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution project. The con-rods they've been working on can supposedly withstand up to 3,000 horsepower and a redline of nearly 15,000 RPM, all while weighing nearly 10 times less than their steel counterparts and six times less than aluminum ones."
https://www.thedrive.com/news/31173/the ... nd-3000-hp

snoopy64

Re: 3D-Printed, Carbon Composite Connecting Rods

Post by snoopy64 »

3D printing or ‘additive manufacturing’ is progressing rapidly, I’ve seen some pretty large components that would have been forged done wit 3 D... it has some potential
Cheers

Kevin

Spider

Post by Spider »

There's some jet engine parts that GE use in their engines that are 3D printed. They started doing this nearly 3 years back,,,

The technology is improving all the time and getting more economical to do all the time. 10 years time, I'll be able to ditch the Lathe and Mill and do it all from the office !

GeorgeA

Post by GeorgeA »

Spider wrote:There's some jet engine parts that GE use in their engines that are 3D printed. They started doing this nearly 3 years back,,,

The technology is improving all the time and getting more economical to do all the time. 10 years time, I'll be able to ditch the Lathe and Mill and do it all from the office !
Bugatti Veyron had 3D printed calipers back in 2018. It was more the material i was shockled / impressed with

Spider

Post by Spider »

GeorgeA wrote: Bugatti Veyron had 3D printed calipers back in 2018. It was more the material i was shockled / impressed with
I agree, there's some utterly amazing materials about.

Tim

Post by Tim »

I have a small sample of carbon fibre impregnated 3d printing on my desk. It is amazing. Stiffer than aluminium and a fraction of the weight. The printer can lay down continuous strands of carbon fibre into the object as it goes. Its really expensive though. I recently got a quote on having some protective casings for deep-sea instruments 3d printed in carbon fibre, but we ended up getting them machined from polycarbonate for 1/10th the price.

Tim
1951 Morris Commercial J Type Van
1955 BSA C11G
1961 Morris Mini Traveller
1969 Triumph TR6R
1977 Leyland Moke Californian