Oldest Cooper S back on ebay - again

General Chat with an emphasis on BMC Minis & Other iconic cars of the 1960's. Includes information on MK1 Action days.
Costafortune

Re: Oldest Cooper S back on ebay - again

Post by Costafortune »

Peter Laidler wrote:Not quite relative to Uncle bob and his Tudor but close..... In the watch repair business we used to have a saying that if you're just simply filthy rich and flash, then get a Rolex. If you are rich and have style, then get an Omega. But if you are rich, have style want reliability and work for a living, then get a Longines
I bought a Rolex GMT 20 years ago and I'm neither filthy rich or flash.

It's quadrupled in value. Cheapest watch ever.

Peter Laidler

Post by Peter Laidler »

It was probably just a phrase that we had to satisfy ourselves that while we had access to an Omega or two, we'd never have a Rolex. Mind you, quite a few of us on R&R in Singapore did come back with a Polex after a few beers

(geddit....., POLEX..., after a few beers..POLEX, a fake one!)
Last edited by Peter Laidler on Fri Nov 22, 2019 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mk1coopers

Post by mk1coopers »

what is it with watches and 'car people', they are a real pain as they are much easier to store :roll: , Omega and Tag Heuer for me at the moment, never fancied a Rolex.

Back on topic I can't understand someone trying to sell a car over and over again, taking various bits off (and adding others ;) ) and changing the story slightly every time when everything is so public, you may have got away with spinning stories back in the pre-internet days but now anyone that wants to buy a car with 'history' can easily research it themselves / find someone that has the right knowledge before making an offer.

1071 S

Post by 1071 S »

Peter Laidler wrote:It was probably just a phrase that we had to satisfy ourselves that while we had access to an Omega or two, we'd never have a Rolex. Mind you, quite a few of us on R&R in Singapore did come back with a Polex after a few beers

(geddit....., POLEX..., after a few beers..POLEX, a fake one!)
They must be value.... they're still business. :lol: A few months ago you could get 2 for US$50 in Downtown Saigon.....

Cheers, Ian

mk1
Site Admin

Post by mk1 »

Just spotted this also being listed by Rolex Bob I reckon it looks like a good one. Tell me why I'm wrong.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Classic-car- ... Sw14Zd1Pou
Mark F
I'm a rather fat feathery Owl called sage.

Old English White

Post by Old English White »

I agree, it looks a cracker. If a rather expensive cracker - and ignoring that it is left hand drive in a right hand drive market and that the DVLA (who should know better) have given it an incorrect registration. Should be an "F" suffix for a late 1967 car. I rather like the Mk2 cars and have owned a couple but it has to be said that they sell for less than the Mk1 which everybody wants.

Bob has advertised it several times before and not found a buyer ;)

Exminiman

Post by Exminiman »

Old English White wrote:I agree, it looks a cracker. If a rather expensive cracker - and ignoring that it is left hand drive in a right hand drive market and that the DVLA (who should know better) have given it an incorrect registration. Should be an "F" suffix for a late 1967 car. I rather like the Mk2 cars and have owned a couple but it has to be said that they sell for less than the Mk1 which everybody wants.

Bob has advertised it several times before and not found a buyer ;)
Have the seats changed since it last had an airing ?

Costafortune

Post by Costafortune »

mk1 wrote:Just spotted this also being listed by Rolex Bob I reckon it looks like a good one. Tell me why I'm wrong.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Classic-car- ... Sw14Zd1Pou
It's bullshit.

"Dvla registered it on an “E” reg 1967 there is not another mk2 in the uk on an E plate"

It's also been in Florida all it's life.

Riiiight.........is that why the date of first registration is November 1st 1967? :lol: :roll:

iain1967s

Post by iain1967s »

I didn’t think the Mk2 was offered for sale in USA, with the Mk1 as the end of the line in Oct 67 due to the emissions/safety regs that came into force for the 1968 model year.

I guess it could be a European market car that was imported privately to Florida at a later date. A heritage cert might provide a more definitive identification.

As with everything from ‘Bobby bullshit’ best to judge the car on the photos, not the description :)

Exminiman

Post by Exminiman »

It's bullshit.

"Dvla registered it on an “E” reg 1967 there is not another mk2 in the uk on an E plate"

It's also been in Florida all it's life.

Riiiight.........is that why the date of first registration is November 1st 1967? :lol: :roll:[/quote]

Arghhhh but he didn`t say which Florida ............. :lol: :lol: