mk1-forum.net

A friendly international forum for people interested in the tuning & modification of classic BMC vehicles
It is currently Sat Dec 07, 2019 10:07 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 4:53 pm 

Peter Laidler wrote:
Not quite relative to Uncle bob and his Tudor but close..... In the watch repair business we used to have a saying that if you're just simply filthy rich and flash, then get a Rolex. If you are rich and have style, then get an Omega. But if you are rich, have style want reliability and work for a living, then get a Longines

I bought a Rolex GMT 20 years ago and I'm neither filthy rich or flash.

It's quadrupled in value. Cheapest watch ever.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 5:30 pm 

It was probably just a phrase that we had to satisfy ourselves that while we had access to an Omega or two, we'd never have a Rolex. Mind you, quite a few of us on R&R in Singapore did come back with a Polex after a few beers

(geddit....., POLEX..., after a few beers..POLEX, a fake one!)

Last edited by Peter Laidler on Fri Nov 22, 2019 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 6:50 pm 

what is it with watches and 'car people', they are a real pain as they are much easier to store :roll: , Omega and Tag Heuer for me at the moment, never fancied a Rolex.

Back on topic I can't understand someone trying to sell a car over and over again, taking various bits off (and adding others ;) ) and changing the story slightly every time when everything is so public, you may have got away with spinning stories back in the pre-internet days but now anyone that wants to buy a car with 'history' can easily research it themselves / find someone that has the right knowledge before making an offer.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2019 8:59 am 

Peter Laidler wrote:
It was probably just a phrase that we had to satisfy ourselves that while we had access to an Omega or two, we'd never have a Rolex. Mind you, quite a few of us on R&R in Singapore did come back with a Polex after a few beers

(geddit....., POLEX..., after a few beers..POLEX, a fake one!)

They must be value.... they're still business. :lol: A few months ago you could get 2 for US$50 in Downtown Saigon.....

Cheers, Ian

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 1:55 pm 
Site Admin

Just spotted this also being listed by Rolex Bob I reckon it looks like a good one. Tell me why I'm wrong.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Classic-car- ... Sw14Zd1Pou

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 2:32 pm 

I agree, it looks a cracker. If a rather expensive cracker - and ignoring that it is left hand drive in a right hand drive market and that the DVLA (who should know better) have given it an incorrect registration. Should be an "F" suffix for a late 1967 car. I rather like the Mk2 cars and have owned a couple but it has to be said that they sell for less than the Mk1 which everybody wants.

Bob has advertised it several times before and not found a buyer ;)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 3:31 pm 

Old English White wrote:
I agree, it looks a cracker. If a rather expensive cracker - and ignoring that it is left hand drive in a right hand drive market and that the DVLA (who should know better) have given it an incorrect registration. Should be an "F" suffix for a late 1967 car. I rather like the Mk2 cars and have owned a couple but it has to be said that they sell for less than the Mk1 which everybody wants.

Bob has advertised it several times before and not found a buyer ;)

Have the seats changed since it last had an airing ?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 4:07 pm 

mk1 wrote:
Just spotted this also being listed by Rolex Bob I reckon it looks like a good one. Tell me why I'm wrong.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Classic-car- ... Sw14Zd1Pou

It's bullshit.

"Dvla registered it on an “E” reg 1967 there is not another mk2 in the uk on an E plate"

It's also been in Florida all it's life.

Riiiight.........is that why the date of first registration is November 1st 1967? :lol: :roll:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 5:20 pm 

I didn’t think the Mk2 was offered for sale in USA, with the Mk1 as the end of the line in Oct 67 due to the emissions/safety regs that came into force for the 1968 model year.

I guess it could be a European market car that was imported privately to Florida at a later date. A heritage cert might provide a more definitive identification.

As with everything from ‘Bobby bullshit’ best to judge the car on the photos, not the description :)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 6:06 pm 

It's bullshit.

"Dvla registered it on an “E” reg 1967 there is not another mk2 in the uk on an E plate"

It's also been in Florida all it's life.

Riiiight.........is that why the date of first registration is November 1st 1967? :lol: :roll:[/quote]

Arghhhh but he didn`t say which Florida ............. :lol: :lol:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next