Le Mans 66 film

General Chat with an emphasis on BMC Minis & Other iconic cars of the 1960's. Includes information on MK1 Action days.
OzOAP

Re: Le Mans 66 film

Post by OzOAP »

:o You have spoilt the ending!!

whitewithblackroof

Post by whitewithblackroof »

surfblue63 wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:18 am
One of the worst De Caprio films I have ever watched. 1*.
Matt Damon

Costafortune

Post by Costafortune »

It was OK, but to 'forget' the second GT40 defeat.....

surfblue63
Location: Exiled Shandy Drinking Southerner Living Oop North!

Post by surfblue63 »

It's a complete work of fiction. At the 1966 Daytona 24 Hours Ken Miles and Lloyd Ruby beat the Holman Moody entered GT40 by 9 laps, hardly a last corner over take. Also the Holman Moddy car came 3rd behind the Shelby entered GT40 of Dan Gurney and Jerry Grant!!!!

Shelby did not get involved with the GT40 project until the end of the 1964 season.

Ken Miles raced with Bruce McLaren in 1965, the only reason he did not race in 1964 was that Shelby was not running the GT40 cars.

The Mustang was launched at the 1964 New York Worlds Fair, not some airfield in California.

Bandinis Ferrari was 12 laps down when it's engine expired, it had not just been passed by Miles.

Fiat purchased Ferrari in 1969, not 1963.

The 330 P3, as seen when Ford go to Marranello would not have been there. They were not built until 1966.

The brown Mini seen at Miles' garage is an Innocenti Mini Minor Mk3. I think in another scene I sotted a W123 Mercedes, not built until 1975!

A very very poor manipulation of the facts.
It's like what my painter friend Donald said to me
"Stick a fork in their ass and turn them over, they're done"

mk1
Site Admin

Post by mk1 »

Hey, it's just a film made to entertain the masses. It's not supposed to be an accurate depiction of history.

It made a change not having the token English actor in an American film playing the evil genius bent on taking over the world!!!
Mark F
"I'm a very friendly Lion called Parsley".

Nick W

Post by Nick W »

[quote=mk1

It made a change not having the token English actor in an American film playing the evil genius bent on taking over the world!!!
[/quote]

What film is that ...sounds quite good :lol:

AndyPen

Post by AndyPen »

mk1 wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:54 pm
Hey, it's just a film made to entertain the masses. It's not supposed to be an accurate depiction of history.

We are working on it Mark - and it will have Mini’s :-)

These movies get away with murder, whether it be ‘the allies’ capturing a enigma machine or Freddy Mercury meeting Smile in London - it is all fiction. I met smile with Freddy in Cornwall - even have a photo taken at Penzance. A lot of Truro people were very disappointed that their venues didn’t get a mention!!!

Such is movie land :-)

jay weinstein

Post by jay weinstein »

mk1 wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:54 pm

Could you imagine Benny Hill playing Donald Trump?

mk1
Site Admin

Post by mk1 »

I can't, but I can imagine him acting in a more statesman like manner than Doofus Donald.
Mark F
"I'm a very friendly Lion called Parsley".

mab01uk

Post by mab01uk »

Most films and TV productions based on true events have a disclaimer of some kind.....
"This story is based on actual events. In certain cases incidents, characters and timelines have been changed for dramatic purposes. Certain characters may be composites, or entirely fictitious."

I am not an expert on Le Mans or motorsport history so the only error i would have picked up is the Innocenti Mini Minor Mk3. :lol: