Nervous & twitchy handling

General Chat with an emphasis on BMC Minis & Other iconic cars of the 1960's. Includes information on MK1 Action days.
Dearg1275

Re: Nervous & twitchy handling

Post by Dearg1275 »

Track rod end slightly loose in the steering arm taper. Not always obvious.

D

Peter Laidler

Post by Peter Laidler »

The problem with this thread, with apologies to Alex and unfortunate Betty, is that it's sooooooo wide ranging! A bit like the '.....my car won't start, what's up' querie. The answer is that by default, it MUST be something that's gone wrong since it was last used. So that will have eliminated most of the answers on the basis that some things just don't happen like that. Do I know what the answer is? Nope, ain't got a clue except that the answer will be a major fault that's come on since the last time it was used

Polarsilver

Post by Polarsilver »

i agree with all the suggestions made .. But how about the rear subframe & all its bolt on components that also need checking :roll:

Dearg1275

Post by Dearg1275 »

I don’t knowing what age and type of suspension you are running. If it’s dry it is possible that the rubber cone has collapsed or is on the point of collapsing. I’ve had this happen between putting the car away for the winter and driving it in the spring.

D

gazwad

Post by gazwad »

If the ARB uses solid aluminium bushes (as per the minispares type) check the bar is fee to rotate - if the bushes are fully tightened up they will clamp the bar solid and this will obviously have a big effect on handling.

nick@dunsdale

Post by nick@dunsdale »

jay weinstein wrote:Steering rack U bolts loose?
I was going to say this soon as i read first post, this can result in real vague floating feeling
i would be checking this and all front subframe mounting bolts.

Tyres as well as suggested if the side walls have started to breakdown this will give the same vague floating feeling

Might be worth swapping wheels front to back just to see if anything changes
The best repairs go un-noticed

http://www.dunsdalecoachworks.com

Alex

Post by Alex »

Almost everything suggested so far has been checked (I've been away on the Beaujolais Run) as a matter of routine, except for pulling the tiebars off and inspecting the bushes. Compressing the springs and checking the top & bottom arm bearings & bushes is next. Both of these things can obviously perish after a few months of inactivity.
Having had a column/pinion spline failure I'm always on top of that, and the car had an MoT a month ago.

My primary worry was that the expensive ATB was the root cause of the problem !

I'll report back as and when I find out what the issue is.

Mini-geek

Post by Mini-geek »

Did you get to the bottom of the issue?

Alex

Post by Alex »

Not yet - I kinda burnt myself out last year and have spent about 2 hrs in the workshop since Revival in September !
Gonna have to take a look a look soon though as Members is looming and the head gasket has gone... water creeping up the head studs can't be good.

Mini-geek

Post by Mini-geek »

I'm suffering a similar issue, it's drives brilliant in the corners and at a constant speed, but if you try to floor it in a straight line it's all over the place,

It's been suggested to check corner weights so that's first thing I'm going to do..