mk1-forum.net

A friendly international forum for people interested in the tuning & modification of classic BMC vehicles
It is currently Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:36 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 5:08 am 

Very sorry to learn of this.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:33 am 

Not living far from the place of the tragic accident I know the place so well . Driving along the A23 in a slow car you would tend to hug the nearside and it’s only one lane and then the A23 just splits in 2 and if you not paying attention you could find yourself just straying onto the M23 . However once on the M23 it soon becomes 4 lanes and the 2 nearside lanes will eventually fork left onto the M25 , so to carry on to Brighton and stay on the M23 you have to cross these 2 nearside lanes to get into lane 2 of a 4 lane motorway , that eventually will become the slow lane again of a 2 lane motorway . You can see this by the position of the lorry .
No doubt the police will determine what went on but unfortunately it ended this way .

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:53 am 

I also know that M23/M25 junction well and would not like to be changing lanes there in a vehicle which had a max speed of 35mph and (by modern standards) poor brakes/steering/roadholding.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:06 am 
Site Admin

I must say that if the junction is as bad as it sounds it is the route, sign posting or marshalling that should / could be improved. Having driven quite a few miles in cars that are not as old as these, but nearly as slow, this REALLY isn't the sort of place to find yourself when driving a car like that.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:04 am 

This is the point where the M23 splits off (to the left), and the A23 continues to the right.

So as others have said, a slow vehicle has to cross to the right hand lane to stay on the A23.

There are signs before the point in this picture, but as always, a moments distraction means you miss the sign.

Once you get to see the signs on the bridge/gantry, its too late.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:24 am 
Site Admin

That would be REALLY, REALLY bad in a slow moving vehicle.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 3:54 pm 

Thanks for the updates...our local car community is in shock at the loss of such a great car guy.
Ron was an orphaned child born in the prairies...grew up here and made it big in the oil business....a self made multi millionaire who never forgot his roots...a really super down to earth person.....always had time to talk cars...to anyone.
He will sadly missed....
RIP Ron.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:39 pm 

Sorry for your loss Dermott. I read a well-written article on the UK Daily Mail website, which detailed Ron's story. It said he was self-made, worked on oil rigs and when he was not working there worked on road construction. He was an active member of classic and vintage car scene. Dreadful end for both Ron and his vintage car. Fingers crossed for his poor wife.