US FRENCH OWNERS Seat belt help

General Chat with an emphasis on BMC Minis & Other iconic cars of the 1960's. Includes information on MK1 Action days.
360gts

US FRENCH OWNERS Seat belt help

Post by 360gts »

My US 65 S has these seat belt brackets...but, no seat belts.....these were only fitted to US and French cars.
Would love to see a picture of how the seat belts were attached to these brackets.
Thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by 360gts on Mon Nov 04, 2019 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hanlminiman

Re: US FRENCH OWNERS

Post by hanlminiman »

In the early days of seat belts (1965ish) we fitted a set of Irving belts to our car and I thought one of the floor straps was looped around a bracket of similar design to the one in your picture. Some modern full harness race belts may be attached to a roll cage bar behind the driver in a similar way.
I found an image on the web which might help.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

360gts

Re: US FRENCH OWNERS

Post by 360gts »

hanlminiman wrote:In the early days of seat belts (1965ish) we fitted a set of Irving belts to our car and I thought one of the floor straps was looped around a bracket of similar design to the one in your picture. Some modern full harness race belts may be attached to a roll cage bar behind the driver in a similar way.
I found an image on the web which might help.
It is possible that a belt was wrapped around the bracket as you suggested.....I have never seen how they did this...if that is how it was supposed to be attached....hoping to see some pictures from US or French cars...there must be some out there....

jay weinstein

Re: US FRENCH OWNERS Seat belt help

Post by jay weinstein »

360gts wrote:My US 65 S has these seat belt brackets...but, no seat belts.....these were only fitted to US and French cars.
Would love to see a picture of how the seat belts were attached to these brackets.
Thanks
My US 66 S has those brackets with a eyebolt (7/16 x 20 tpi) threaded into the tube.
The seatbelts clip into the eyebolt.

Charlynsane

Post by Charlynsane »

jay weinstein wrote:
360gts wrote:My US 65 S has these seat belt brackets...but, no seat belts.....these were only fitted to US and French cars.
Thanks
My US 66 S has those brackets with a eyebolt (7/16 x 20 tpi) threaded into the tube.
The seatbelts clip into the eyebolt.
My late 66 cooper used to have the same setup

mk1
Site Admin

Post by mk1 »

My 66 US car also had these fitted, but I'm afraid I just yanked them out & skipped them. Didn't take any notice of how they were fitted.

Sorry.
Mark F
I'm a rather fat feathery Owl called sage.

mk1
Site Admin

Post by mk1 »

Not really pertinent to this thread, but I found these fitting instructions while hunting for some relevant info.
Mark F
I'm a rather fat feathery Owl called sage.

360gts

Post by 360gts »

Thanks for all the input...gratefully acknowledged.
Was able to get a couple of pictures from a Forum member (Simon) illustrating the actual setup on this style of bracket.
I kept looking at these brackets not realising they were threaded inside!!!!
Thank you Simon....mystery now solved.

Andrew1967

Post by Andrew1967 »

The mounting bracket looks to fix to the tunnel using the same diagonal drilled holes that HOY has, using Britax belts with a large anchor plate and parallelogram (?) shaped drilled and tapped mounting plates underneath.

Something to consider when ordering a new floor from MiniMachine. If this style of belt anchorage is not specified, you will end up with the standard reinforcing saddle with captive nuts welded underneath.

360gts

Post by 360gts »

Andrew1967 wrote:The mounting bracket looks to fix to the tunnel using the same diagonal drilled holes that HOY has, using Britax belts with a large anchor plate and parallelogram (?) shaped drilled and tapped mounting plates underneath.

Something to consider when ordering a new floor from MiniMachine. If this style of belt anchorage is not specified, you will end up with the standard reinforcing saddle with captive nuts welded underneath.
Correct Andrew
Think they changed the mounting holes around 66ish!!!
Prior to that you had a metal bar underneath the tunnel.