mk1-forum.net

A friendly international forum for people interested in the tuning & modification of classic BMC vehicles
It is currently Sat Dec 07, 2019 2:44 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Make your carpets?????
PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:01 pm 

Anyone on here who have made their own carpet set???
Certainly a lot more financially plausible than buying a set already made.
If so, how many meters did you source??? 4 or 5?????
Considering this option as it is easier to ship a roll that a few sets that are already made .
Shipping overseas is becoming more expensive...have to become more practical now to keep the costs down

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:48 pm 

Yes. I recall buying 2m of a 6ft roll and everything fitted i to that. I will check how wide it was.
I used a Somerford carpet set as a template. I got the mk1 heal pad and glued that into position. The plastic seat 'runners' were cut out of a dark grey plastic can and pop rivited on. Not sure of a better way of fixing these on.
I don't like the bound-edge Somerford carpet, so will probably make my next carpet again with something from Woolies.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:34 am 

I cut my own from lose carpet, obtained from a trader at spring autojumble thinggy at Beaulieu. He knew everything off the top of his head for a Mini. What I needed for the front, the back and all the other odds and sods. Cut it all after using the old carpet plus a couple of paper patterns BUT LEFT A 2" BORDER around the edge to cater for any slight mishaps and later trimming at his suggestion. All went in with no trouble except for a bit of trimming to size 2 weeks later when it'd found its own form and level. MARKED the heel pad position with a bit of chalk and asked a trimmer to sew it down. No glue so it can be removed and replaced later if necessary.

Will come back this morning with MARTRIM details. But he knew he answer to every Q I asked

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:25 am 

This is probably not relevant to what you are thinking about! but here's my input,
when I needed carpets for my Coachbuilt car being Wilton Carpet! which was made
by the parent company of Oyler Holmfray Carpets, I scoured the Wilton in Northern
Ireland via a local Carpet shop.
We ordered 2mtr and I cut the the shapes out from what was left of the originals
and a few bits of guess work? I then fitted all the vinyl edging using some of the
original and some scoured from Wollies trim supplies, the 2mtr did cover the companion
bins, rear wheel arches and inside boot firewall.

Image Image

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 3:01 pm 

I think 4 meters X 1 meter wide will be sufficient for a set.....Total of 36 square feet ish!
Been trying to find a darkish grey wool that is similar to the pre 65 Cumulus grey that was fitted to those cars.
Anyone have any luck with this???
So, question is...was that early grey wool carpet the same color as Cumulus grey door cards and seats?????

All of the samples I have received are either too light or too dark.

Hope someone can shed some light on this.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:31 pm 

360gts wrote:
I think 4 meters X 1 meter wide will be sufficient for a set.....Total of 36 square feet ish!
Been trying to find a darkish grey wool that is similar to the pre 65 Cumulus grey that was fitted to those cars.
Anyone have any luck with this???
So, question is...was that early grey wool carpet the same color as Cumulus grey door cards and seats?????

All of the samples I have received are either too light or too dark.

Hope someone can shed some light on this.

PM answered :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:27 am 

spraybeateer wrote:
This is probably not relevant to what you are thinking about! but here's my input,
by the parent company of Oyler Holmfray Carpets, I scoured the Wilton in Northern
We ordered 2mtr and I cut the the shapes out from what was left of the originals
and a few bits of guess work? I then fitted all the vinyl edging using some of the
original and some scoured from Wollies trim supplies, the 2mtr did cover the companion

Do you know who in NI you got the carpet from? I am having bother finding a local supplier as I need to custom trim the carpet in the Traveller due to now having rod change floor panel fitted and other floor mods that the Mk1 moulded carpets won't fit around.

'64 Morris Cooper S Traveller
'04 MG ZR 105
'12 Vauxhall Insignia SRi CDTi
'15 MINI Cooper Hatch 3dr

Check out my YouTube Channel here - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJrnGuGP1RK6uqIj_j9ZhUQ
I am also on Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/team_ballylough_classics/
Website here - https://minitravellerman.wixsite.com/ballyloughclassics

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:38 am 
Site Admin

Finding hessian backed carpets of a similar (poor) quality to the original is very difficult nowadays. Carpet "technology" has moved on a lot since the 1960's & modern alternatives are nothing like comparable.

The grey twist carpet is darker than cumulus grey door cards.

At one time it was easy to find this crappy quality carpet in any bargain basement carpet shop, I haven't seen anything similar for years.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 11:55 am 

minitravellerman wrote:
spraybeateer wrote:

Do you know who in NI you got the carpet from? I am having bother finding a local supplier as I need to custom trim the carpet in the Traveller due to now having rod change floor panel fitted and other floor mods that the Mk1 moulded carpets won't fit around.

I used a high end carpet shop in Leeds they managed to find Willton Carpet to more or less match the original
after a couple of hours searching through all his suppliers, it came as a 2x2mtr roll.
Another bit of maybe useless information! have been told that Westex Carpets in Cleckheaton used to make some
Vehicle Carpets, I have not checked this out as I no longer need any carpet.was told that they used to make moulded
carpets for a certain well known trimming company.
Another company that I did check out another company in Manchester at the time Segal Trimmings I think they were
called they had a vast range of carpet in stock although nowt to match mine.
The Count :lol: :roll:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 2:27 pm 

My car was a project when I bought it and it had no carpet inside except torn shreds of the rear. I wasn't concerned about originality so much as I was stopping the hemorrhage of money I was experiencing working on the car.

I taped heavy craft paper to the floor of the car to make templates. Once I removed the templates from the car I bought a couple of yards of grey (remnants from a local carpet installer), cut where necessary, and stitched a few places together to fit the floor tunnel. Like Peter, I left a couple of extra inches on the borders so I could trim to fit. It has worked well for me for years.