Old Minispares logo

General Chat with an emphasis on BMC Minis & Other iconic cars of the 1960's. Includes information on MK1 Action days.
r.tec

Re: Old Minispares logo

Post by r.tec »

That is the same place on Google Maps today:
Friern Barnet Road Google Maps kl.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

floormanager

Post by floormanager »

The original shop was in Frien Barnet. Used to be able to get there from my house in Enfield in 12 mins when desparate for parts before closing :twisted:

Costafortune

Post by Costafortune »

Still there then - what was I thinking of? :?:

The last time I went was in 1992. I was building a 970S engine and the con rod studs supplied by Moss were made out of chocolate. Absolute crap - they just stretched when torqued up. The car was in bits, engine out - on a Saturday. :roll:

Jumped in the car, shot down the M40 and prayed that they had the right ones. They did - in old British Leyland bags.

spoon.450

Post by spoon.450 »

r.tec wrote:prior to this logo the original Minispares logo was simply yellow letters on blue ground.
mini_spares_002.jpg
1984_61_kl.jpg
I still have some of these stickers....gave Rich a few recently

floormanager

Post by floormanager »

I actually have some receipts from my car in the mid 1970s, pre-minispares, when I presume Keith was working at a motor factors. Did love that shop though. Had a mate from my local working in there, Chris Wooden, who had the Broadspeeds.

r.tec

Post by r.tec »

Chris Wooden later left Minispares to set up his own business "Mini Shop". Met him on several IMMs. Wonder what happend to him.

swifty

Post by swifty »

Yeh he's still about , talk to him regularly.... ken
1963 austin Cooper s mk1 1071
1966 Austin Cooper s mk1 1275
1968 Austin Cooper mk2 998
1962 Morris mini super 850
Porsche 997 turbo S
Ford transit van 280s

imack

Post by imack »

I used to pay regular visits to the old minispares shop in Frien barnet on a Saturday morning, frequently popping into Ripspeed in Edmonton as well in the same trip.

zbarbera

Post by zbarbera »

roymck wrote:Wasn’t there another minspares company before this , back in the late sixties there was a shop at Amen corner in Tooting and also a branch near the Oval in London, mostly S/h spares from cars they broke up. When you were trying to run an 850 mini on a budget they were the first port of call .
Yes. Mini Spares of Huddersfield. I think they are still around. Used to be pretty good. Then just became breakers sometime during the 90s. But now last I knew were selling cheap brightwork. My Restalls were sourced by them back in the 90s. And I still have a keychain.
7, March 1963 Austin Cooper 1071 S

Oldskoolcool

Post by Oldskoolcool »

From memory the first minispares shop was in a filling station on the north circular road, that was in the late 70s- the first online shop was in a telephone box a year or so earlier! Mini spares shops sprang up all over the place in the early 70s-among the new parts i bought were 1275GT short motor(£44!),boot lid(£7)door(£10) from the kennington shop although i am pretty sure that these shops were nothing to do with Minispares as we know now them because they closed as quickly as they opened!-obviously the B.L back door was slammed pretty sharp! I stopped tinkering with minis 73/74 so my comments apply to a date prior that .Hope this is of interest. Best wishes to you all.PETER