some classic cars dumped !

General Chat with an emphasis on BMC Minis & Other iconic cars of the 1960's. Includes information on MK1 Action days.
Nick W

some classic cars dumped !

Post by Nick W »

UHR850

Re: some classic cars dumped !

Post by UHR850 »

:o So much space out there in the middle of nowhere.
I have to get there with my toolbox to score a lot of Mini
parts, no one will never mis it in the outback.

Kees.
DOWNTON Mini is what I like a lot.
Mini 1000 Super de Luxe Mk3 1974 for Downtoning it.
Collecting 60th wooden steeringwheels.

iain1967s

Post by iain1967s »

Before anyone gets any great ideas... I’ll save you time by summarising the Facebook comments :

That’s quite an old video of ex-RAF Thurleigh Business Park in Bedford. The runway is used as a holding area for accident damaged, ex-lease, new and scrapped cars.

The more modern used vehicles are mostly ex-lease cars that will be prepared for resale back into the used car dealer network. A few classic cars in the video were part of the original scrappage scheme, which could not be sold on because they were marked as scrapped on the logbook, so would be sold to breakers yards for spares.

Various intermediary companies handle the sale and distribution. Paragon Automotive for newer ex-lease vehicles, SMH Auctions and CD Auctions / CD Salvage deal with the damaged and insurance write offs, some of the classics are sold by Barons, or tendered for breaking into the used spares supply chain.

The turnover is quite high, and most of the classics are long gone; it’s mostly modern ex-lease and damaged cars now, and some brand new cars using the runway for pre-delivery hard standing storage. Beats the open grassy fields that BL used back in their day...

UHR850

Post by UHR850 »

Well I am from the Netherlands so getting there
was not the real thing for me to do.
Thanks for the explanation of al the cars.

Kees.
DOWNTON Mini is what I like a lot.
Mini 1000 Super de Luxe Mk3 1974 for Downtoning it.
Collecting 60th wooden steeringwheels.