mk1-forum.net

A friendly international forum for people interested in the tuning & modification of classic BMC vehicles
It is currently Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:54 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: DVLA Success
PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:06 pm 

A few months ago I bought a 1961 Morris Mini Minor de-luxe. The car is in need of extensive restoration which I'm looking forward to starting. One thing stopping me though is that the car has been in storage since the late 70's and doesn't appear on any DVLA records. I wanted to be sure that I could secure the original registration number and a V5C before starting out on what will be an extensive registration. I therefore sent a V765 and a V55/5 to the British Mini Club together with the original logbook and bill of sale together with photos of the car. The club returned my documents two weeks ago and today a shiny new V5c landed on the doormat.
My thanks to the British Mini Club for their help. With all the negative stories about the DVLA I wasn't optimistic so it was great to get a good result.

Barry

Post subject: Re: DVLA Success
PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:24 pm 

Nice to hear that it all worked out for you... and greetings from Swansea BTW ;-)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:24 am 

Excellent news! I imagine having the old log book must have been a great help in the process.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:09 am 

That easy so well done to you & the BMClub.. however i pre-assumed there was a need for the car to have a club inspection + current MOT along with photos of the car in a working/assembled condition for the DVLA to then deal with a application for a fresh Logbook V5c completion... maybe you had the old style Blue V5 Logbook to back your application.
Did the DVLA issue you with a Historic Status on your new V5c ?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:30 am 

I'm pleased you had it sorted so easily. I have to restore my 66 mk1 before BMC will inspect it for the DVLA. It must be that you had the original logbook that was the clincher. I don't have it for mine but everything else paperwork-wise I have.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:54 am 
Site Admin

Great result!

The most annoying thing about the way that things like this are processed nowadays is that some go through like this & others with exactly the same paperwork stick.

There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to this & in the name of fairness the DVLA really need to get the system sorted.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:30 am 

The original RF60 logbook is the key, pretty much guarantees a successful (genuine) application. Some very high profile genuine cars struggling to get their logbooks currently just due to their lack of original paperwork.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:40 am 

Some interesting points. I agree the logbook seems very important but it's no guarantee. My car was in the same family until last year when it changed hands a couple of times in quick succession. One of the previous owners applied last year for the V5. He sent in all the same evidence I had but didn't submit the V765 (which is the one which requires endorsement from the mini club). The DVLA arranged an inspection by one of their contractors. He took one look at the car and declined it because it was not 'substantially complete'. The engine was on the floor next to the car and the drivers door was leant against the garage wall. Before I sent my application in I dropped the engine back in the car and got the door back on so that the photos provided showed that it was now substantially complete.
The new V5c shows the car as 'Historic' and the number plate is not transferrable, which I am happy about.

Good luck to anyone going through the same process, I understand your frustration.

Barry