mk1-forum.net

A friendly international forum for people interested in the tuning & modification of classic BMC vehicles
It is currently Fri Aug 23, 2019 2:20 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:40 pm 

Rich_chancer wrote:
Hi, been a while since I posted, bought a mini van off eBay and applied for the logbook paying the £25 and dvla said it needs to be inspected as it’s not on the register. It’s a 1964 smooth roof and has a chassis plate and came with a number plate and said to be off the road since 1976.

Is it worth getting the heritage certificate or just crack on with the build and deal with it later on? I’m not fussed what number they issue for it as long as I can register it.

It’s booked a full de rust and paint strip at ribble next month that’s all.

Link to the advert

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 4337742880

I have just been succesfull getting a age related plate , ID plate but no log book , Your car needs to be MOTd and inspected by a club , age forms related - V55/5 and V765 + £55 , Photo's ,your own ID ect , the DVLA phoned me saying my application had been succesfull , just needed to claryfy one thing , then the lady said i would recieve my documents next week , about 4 weeks in total
Just get your finished first , then as above

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:23 pm 

Thanks for everyone’s comments, I’m glad that’s clarified as I was quite unsure what they where asking for and why! I can understand they haven’t the resources to check everything but don’t want to waste my time pumping money into a pup to have hassle in the future.

With regards to the restoration and having it checked by a club prior to age related number been issued is it ok to upgrade to disc brakes, servo and maybe a Austin 1300gt engine all period upgrades?

Is documenting the full build with invoices reccomended for the dvla?

Thanks again for the help

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:42 am 

The DVLA won't be interested in build photos or invoices. They are really clamping down on applications, they will insist on documentation tying the chassis number to the reg number and yes some record archives do list them. This is why old buff logbooks fetch so much money on Ebay! I know of at least two famous cars thought to be original who are having real difficulties getting their original number plates back despite the full backing of an authorised club.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:27 am 

Friend has an original reg; number that he would like back onto his rally car (not a Mini).photos & docs sent to DVLA agree they have this number & its not allocated.. but he cannot get it because DVLA intend to put this Plate up for Auction & they will not advise when that Auction will take place, :evil:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:42 pm 

Polarsilver wrote:
Friend has an original reg; number that he would like back onto his rally car (not a Mini).photos & docs sent to DVLA agree they have this number & its not allocated.. but he cannot get it because DVLA intend to put this Plate up for Auction & they will not advise when that Auction will take place, :evil:

Have the rules changed, thought DVLA do not reissue or sell registration numbers which have previously been issued apart from for the original car the number was on. I would like a registration number my father had on his car which I learnt to drive on. Obviously the car was scrapped many years ago and I've always understood that the particular number could not be reissued.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:50 pm 

Polarsilver wrote:

Polarsilver that don't make sence ???? , you say your friend as the original No ? , then you say DVLA have the same No ?, then you say DVLA are going to put the same No up for auction ? .

i once enquired about a Number to DVLA ( the online service that sells plates ) and they said if and when it comes for auction they will inform me and YES they did !!!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:03 am 

Goff .. explanation ..first registration plate was a transfer off the Rally Car by the original owner then put on a Porsche .. rally car then sold on-wards through other owners .. this rally car has history with many photos of the cars early efforts..today this Rally Car is registered but does not have its original Reg Number .. current owner asks DVLA can he get the original reg number back onto his car .. DVLA say No but agree the number is not allocated & will be going to Auction.. sometime.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:53 am 

Sorry to disagree very slightly with Pete but I agree that while photos of the restoration/rebuild might only be of passing interest to the people at DVLA, they WILL be important to the inspectors. I was one of the old Police vehicle examiners who used to do these on behalf of the LVLO's, DVLA and DVLC and these and the receipts etc formed to make a strong case for you. I used to stamp the receipts with our office stamp so that they couldn't be passed to someone else to make up a stolen 'ringer'.

Things might have changed slightly now but keep all documentary evidence, however slight. Even then............. I could write a book about the antics they used to hinder. Although it must be said, to help too!

I noticed that when I brought my brand new, unregistered 2000 RCS5 mini into the UK and left it for almost a year before I registered it, the LVLO also stamped the Belgian docs and customs clearance note with their stamp, presumably to prevent me using them again. Now there's a thought!!!!!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:16 am 

Yes Peter but the way it was done back then was exploited to hell and provided opportunities for the unscrupulous to get whatever logbook they wanted! Let’s not go there! :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:44 pm 

Polarsilver wrote:
Goff .. explanation ..first registration plate was a transfer off the Rally Car by the original owner then put on a Porsche .. rally car then sold on-wards through other owners .. this rally car has history with many photos of the cars early efforts..today this Rally Car is registered but does not have its original Reg Number .. current owner asks DVLA can he get the original reg number back onto his car .. DVLA say No but agree the number is not allocated & will be going to Auction.. sometime.

Polarsilver
Tell your friend to on the internet put in DVLA number plates click on the mailing list , then specific registration number/s , they will inform him when it is coming up for auction .

What I don't understand is WHY they have it , if it was transferd to a Porsche then it should be still circulation , unless the caretaker misrepresented the numbers or letters and it was taken off them !!!! or the car was scrapped with the number still on , BUT as fricsman says DVLA claim not reissue used plates