mk1-forum.net

A friendly international forum for people interested in the tuning & modification of classic BMC vehicles
It is currently Fri Aug 23, 2019 2:24 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Number plate application
PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:17 pm 

Hi, been a while since I posted, bought a mini van off eBay and applied for the logbook paying the £25 and dvla said it needs to be inspected as it’s not on the register. It’s a 1964 smooth roof and has a chassis plate and came with a number plate and said to be off the road since 1976.

Is it worth getting the heritage certificate or just crack on with the build and deal with it later on? I’m not fussed what number they issue for it as long as I can register it.

It’s booked a full de rust and paint strip at ribble next month that’s all.

Link to the advert

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 4337742880

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:43 pm 

To get the original plate back on it you’d need to provide evidence that the number plate belongs to the chassis number. You can do that usually with old documents like the buff logbook or an old pre ‘83 MOT or depending on where it was registered you might be able to find the information in old council registration records if they survive. A Heritage Cert can be useful if you end up going the age related plate route. DVLA have really tightened up on this in recent times but I doubt an age related plate will be a problem once you’ve rebuilt it.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:50 am 

Thanks Pete, looks to have been registered in Sheffield originally but I’ll let that number lie as I can imagine a night mare to obtain without paperwork.

If I just get on with the build, take the pictures as per usual, apply for a heritage certificate and present for an mot once complete this will suffice for the dvla to issue a non transferable 1964 age related registration number once the relevant fees etc have been paid?

I’ve attached a copy of the letter from the dvla.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:23 am 

BWF in 1964 would have been an East Yorkshire registration.

Regards Eric.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:44 am 

As has been said, its only if you want the old number back that you have to get all the supporting evidence.

If you're not bothered, let them issue you another 'B reg. They will be probably still want to inspect the car - or get a local expert/club official to do it.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:46 am 

I'm in the same situation. I supplied 1980 tax disc, heritage certificate. Details of original dealer and first owner. No. It has to be inspected by a Club. There's a list on the DVLA site. I contacted the Mini Club and they advised me to restore it and then call them in for an inspeciton. They can then give the recommendation to the DVLA. Think the cost for inspection is in the region of £45.

Basically the DVLA are too lazy to go into their archives for the information. All the registration details were transferred to the DVLA in around 1990 from the local motor vehicle taxation offices to their archives. You can call the archive section of the original town or county council where it was first registered and ask what info they still hold. I contacted the Swindon & Wiltshire archives for mine. They gave me all they had but still not good enough for the DVLA.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:55 am 

whistler wrote:
I'm in the same situation. <snip> All the registration details were transferred to the DVLA in around 1990 from the local motor vehicle taxation offices to their archives. You can call the archive section of the original town or county council where it was first registered and ask what info they still hold. I contacted the Swindon & Wiltshire archives for mine. They gave me all they had but still not good enough for the DVLA.

One problem is that very few local registration registers seem to have recorded both the chassis number and the plate attached to it - which is effectively what the DVLA are looking for. Most only record the dealers name and if you lucky the 1st owners name. This is always assuming the records survive in the first place - Have tried to search various local records and while I did OK with Dorset and Hertfordshire I found most of the London and Surrey area records (for instance) were lost when the authorities demurred on their return from DVLA storage at RAF Llandow. Simon covered much of this 3 years ago in the topic 'Surrey registration numbers' here viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11567&hilit=Surrey+registration+numbers

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:11 pm 

whistler wrote:
I'm in the same situation...

An inspection is also to confirm that the car matches what its supposed to be and built from period components.

If the OP doesn't mind an age related, then its a lot easier for him.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:22 pm 

If it's from East Yorkshire I found Driffield local council office very helpful with an issue I had a few years back.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:57 pm 

The trouble with the dvla is there inconsistency. I've just applied for a log book for a 66 mk1 and all they have asked for is some pictures of the car complete with chassis plate in place and number plates . Sent this info to them 2 weeks ago and as of yet I'm waiting a response.... ken

Porsche 997 turboS
Ford transit swb flat roof 280s